Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,465   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Home c-41 film process kit for 120?

Hey guys,
    can anyone recommend a decent c-41 film process kit for 120 film? Tetinal seems to be good, but recipe is based 35 mm.

ToddB

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as the kit makes at least 500ml of each solution, you can process 35mm or 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look like the kits come 1 and 2 liters. Should be OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tetenal is a great kit and it comes in 1 litre and 5 litre sizes. I've been using the 1 litre kit for 120 as well as for 35mm lately, having used the Rollei Digibase product and Unicolor kits previously. For the purposes of any of these kits, 1 roll of 120 is equivalent to 1 36 exposure roll of 35mm in terms of film area being developed. The exception is that processing 400 iso films will decrease the overall number of rolls developed in the Tetenal product.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool.. I see that Freestyle camera has press kits.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c1001-...ls-Color-Print

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just took a look at the Tetenal C-41 1 liter kit. The total price is $39.99+$6.00 shipping to a total of $46. It says it can process 12 35mm-36 films. So the average cost is $3.85.

But I can get my 35mm films processed at Costco for about $1.60 a roll. The quality is fine and the film will be ready in an envelop.

So I just do not know if it is cost effective to buy the small quantify chemicals.

I understand that there is value to develop your film by yourself. But if you count the possible mistake you could make and the waste of some chemicals, the cost would be even higher.....
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's more to the equation than cost. If you need basic developing of non-critical work, then Costco (Target, whatever) is fine. If you need more control or just want the peace of mind knowing exactly how your film is being handled, then most of us are content to pony up the few extra dollars for the DIY kits. I'd much rather be in a postion to blame myself for messing up my film than an anonymous lab tech.

Anyway, the OP was asking specifically about 120 film. If your Costco even offers that service (I doubt it; mine doesn't) chances are they send it out, there's going to be a long wait, and it's going to cost more than a few dollars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know very quickly some people would say that

If people only shoot 10 to 20 films a year, it is not cost effective at all. You may need to buy 2 or 3 of the 1-liter kits since the shelf life of working chemicals are 2-3 months the most. That is $150 to process 20 films. Then you need to add color processing equipment.

I'd say try to find one or two good labs that you can "trust". Sometime I drop a regular 35mm film from a trip at Costco and they always do a very good job. C-41 is very standard now.

The other thing is to have some photographer friends and get some free chemicals from them
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Costco will do 135 for $1.60 per 36 exposure roll, but they do not do 20. I used Unicolor 1 liter from FreeStyle for 135, 120 and 4"x5". It says it will do 8 rolls of 135-36 but I have easily gotten 12 rolls from it. I do not know how many rolls the other sets from FreeStyle handle.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Costco will do 135 for $1.60 per 36 exposure roll, but they do not do 20. I used Unicolor 1 liter from FreeStyle for 135, 120 and 4"x5". It says it will do 8 rolls of 135-36 but I have easily gotten 12 rolls from it. I do not know how many rolls the other sets from FreeStyle handle.
    I know, I know. But you still made a mistake. The 1-liter kit can do 12 35mm-36 films....

I'd be happy with my 10 liter package case....
    A photo amateur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin