Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,474   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selenium toning.. shelf life?

Hey guys,

I'm a big user of Selenium toning for anything of value in printing. Does anyone know the shelf life after you make a batch. it's 3 to 1 on mixing so I do 10 of Sel and 30 of water. I have it contained in opaque plastic bottle. The mixure is going for about 3 months. still using it and it is still working.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you wash thoroughly and then tone, I beleve the working solution will not degrade at all.

I have a 1+9 stock that all fine quality FB prints get stabilized toned with. It lives in a dark glass bottle, typically in my dark cool basement darkroom .

I ocassionally 'replenish' it. I somewhere found the rated capacity of the 1:9. Likely an old Kodak darkroom datagude.
    So after about 5 or 6 8x10's I add some full strength KRST, x ml per print processed. .
    I don't recall the quantity - I have it written on the bottle, which is not close at hand.

This same solution has been on the go for over 7 years now.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Can you selenium tone the film itself? I ask because I love film but I don't do any printing at all, and so I scan everything, I can certainly do it as a post process in Lightroom / Photoshop but I was thinking it would be more "organic" if I could tone the film and then scan it as a color negative to get the selenium tone in the image file.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you CAN tone film. It's one of the archival techniques. I have NEVER heard of toning film for color and I do not know if it will actually change color. I know the density will increase a little.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you selenium tone a negative it will shift in colour if you leave a long time you need to use the toner much less dilute but it gives good intesification, but scanning as a negative will reverse any colour shift in the opposite direction

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info guys.. I believe I saw a demo on youtube of a guy sel film. search for it. Thought it was an interesting concept.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm, I had a half gallon bottle (brown plastic, stored in dark, mostly full) if 1+19 and it no longer tones at all, and had all manner of crud floating it in it. Dumped and about to remix.

Well when I say "dumped" I mean into my "selenium bucket." I dump used toner into a bucket reserved for that purpose and let it evaporate. The selenium will be left. Eventually the bucket can be taken to a hazmat disposal. In the meantime, it avoids putting it into the environment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can you selenium tone the film itself?

Selenium toning of negatives is another way to increase its contrast, a bit like N+1, as the intensification is more pronounced in highlights. The added benefit is that you don't increase grain, like longer dev time would. You can even do it selectively, here is a picture of John Sexton doing it to a portion of one of his negs.

However, if you scan, I suspect this won't be much use to you at all, you can just do Cmd-K in Lr.

As others said, this stuff lasts until exhausted, if mixed normally.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thanks everyone, I'll just use Lightroom, I just wanted to be more "authentic" lol ah well...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you ever get into darkroom printing, give Se another chance. It is quite magical in its effect, on most papers, adding a glow to a print.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin