Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,720   Online: 827

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Very nice picture. What is it that he keeps at his neck? Seems like some kind of instrument. Maybe a portable range-finder?

I suppose your grandfather was an officer, wasn't he? (spike and decoration on the helmet).
    I'm not sure what that is, and I am not sure what level he attained during service, only that he was killed in action, and left a widow and 2 small boys, one was my father, who would be 101 now if he was still with us.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... coat motion picture film, still photography film, paper and maybe other materials....
    Do not forget about x-ray film, and remember that unlike consumer film, each x-ray image consumes a square foot or more of film stock. Even though their are many digital processes now in this market, many images are archived and distributed via film printed on laser imagers. Smaller. older offices use the regular x-ray equipment already in place and most exams require at least two sheets of film.

... Everyone things that the penny CDs and DVDs are ok, even Hollywood I guess. So, the market keeps moving in that direction....
    IF the movie people actually send out disks, those disks are probably throw aways. When the theatre is done showing them, they are shredded and discarded. My guess is the distribution is, or shortly will be, entirlely digital via satellite or internet with the theatre being charged "per click" each time the file is shown.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 12-04-2012 at 07:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added some information
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Darn! I woulda had this if I'd won the Powerball Lottery LOL. Any investors wanna see if Simon would do this?
    Hell, if I won the lottery I might do it as a retirement project!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Opinion? Agfa, Ferrania, Fuji, Kodak, Konica

Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Do not forget about x-ray film, and remember that unlike consumer film, each x-ray image consumes a square foot or more of film stock. Even though their are many digital processes now in this market, many images are archived and distributed via film printed on laser imagers. Smaller. older offices use the regular x-ray equipment already in place and most exams require at least two sheets of film.

IF the movie people actually send out disks, those disks are probably throw aways. When the theatre is done showing them, they are shredded and discarded. My guess is the distribution is, or shortly will be, entirlely digital via satellite or internet with the theatre being charged "per click" each time the file is shown.
    I'm dating a doctor and she says the se of film for x-rays is non existent at any good hospital, they use digital x-rays so that anyone at any time can pull up the x-ray on their screen without having to wait for processing or someone to bring it up from the storage room.

Just FYI

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... the se of film for x-rays is non existent at any good hospital, they use digital x-rays so that anyone at any time can pull up the x-ray on their screen without having to wait for processing or someone to bring it up from the storage room...
    Yes, I know. I was part of a group working on that technology at Kodak in the mid-1980s. Kodak's system never really got started and was finally canceled with the circa 1992 Kodak BOD edict of "ye shall make film only." Do not underestimate how much of the technology used for those systems originated in Buildings 82 and 69 at Kodak Park.

But, frankly, once you get away from the Mayo Clinic size hospitals, there's a lot of film flying around in radiology departments. The big hospital in town here is still all film for x-rays and the other brand new hospital that my kids have spent entirely too much time at (sports injuries) is all x-ray film, too. But these are 100 to 500 bed outfits, not several thousand. And that doesn't count individual offices.

But, digital is ideal for radiology use because (believe it or not) the images are low resolution and easily compressed.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 12-04-2012 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Yes, I know. I was part of a group working on that technology at Kodak in the mid-1980s. Kodak's system never really got started and was finally canceled with the circa 1992 Kodak BOD edict of "ye shall make film only." Do not underestimate how much of the technology used for those systems originated in Buildings 82 and 69 at Kodak Park.

But, frankly, once you get away from the Mayo Clinic size hospitals, there's a lot of film flying around in radiology departments. The big hospital in town here is still all film for x-rays and the other brand new hospital that my kids have spent entirely too much time at (sports injuries) is all x-ray film, too. But these are 100 to 500 bed outfits, not several thousand. And that doesn't count individual offices.

But, digital is ideal for radiology use because (believe it or not) the images are low resolution and easily compressed.
    To be fair, she's a Doctor at Yale, so yes, bigger hospital...lol

She said though they may be lower quality they are much easier to zoom in on and see details than on an x-ray in front of a light box. Haha

I'm sure small doctors offices and hospitals can't afford the super expansive digital machines.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm

a
    Not only larger hospitals though, most equipment is trickle down, especially outside the US, here in Ontario, Canada a Hospital like Sick Kids or NYGH has the absolute latest stuff, they can afford the million or so for a new one, their old 3 year old machine gets sent to a Hospital like Owen Sound or Peterborough, to replace an older 10 year old machine, which is sent to a Hospital like Wiarton who are happy to replace their ancient 30 year old machine with a 10 year old one, and it then gets shipped off to an even smaller, remote hospital where they are happy to get a machine, that's not old enough to collect a pension.
    Paul Schmidt

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    a
    Not only larger hospitals though, most equipment is trickle down, especially outside the US, here in Ontario, Canada a Hospital like Sick Kids or NYGH has the absolute latest stuff, they can afford the million or so for a new one, their old 3 year old machine gets sent to a Hospital like Owen Sound or Peterborough, to replace an older 10 year old machine, which is sent to a Hospital like Wiarton who are happy to replace their ancient 30 year old machine with a 10 year old one, and it then gets shipped off to an even smaller, remote hospital where they are happy to get a machine, that's not old enough to collect a pension.
    This pattern parallels my last post in a different thread asking for a FREE to $200 working and complete 4x5 to start out with, someone called me crazy and I tried explaining the pass it on method

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This pattern parallels my last post in a different thread asking for a FREE to $200 working and complete 4x5 to start out with, someone called me crazy and I tried explaining the pass it on method

~Stone

When you decide to pass that on again, let me know....
    Paul Schmidt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    When you decide to pass that on again, let me know....
    Don't you already shoot 4x5? The pass along is for newbies to help them learn and get used to a new format for little investment before they plunge in for better equipment once they've learned, which is what I was proposing.

~Stone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin