Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,393   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

room temp C41 chems

I've just seen some C41 processing chemicals which come already diluted and be used from any temp from 20c to 45c, in other words, at room temp. This sounds good news for me, as I'm about to try processing my own colour films but have been put off slightly by the need to be 100% accurate with the temperature, which is a bit difficult when I don't have a thermostatic drum processor.
    Has anyone used this product? Are the results as good as the more traditional makes, e.g. Tetenal Colortec?
    Its distributed by Firstcall, and called Digibase C41.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...385ml-softpack

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In any case you should have a look at this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...se-c-41-a.html

You could do inverting processing with chemistries kept in waterbath in isolated bassin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I have heard about developing C-41 at room temperature, was that I was not worth the effort. Your experience may vary.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the kit but haven't used it yet. However I won't be taking what I would regard as a risk and use it at room temp. It seems logical that if a C41 kit could be used consistently at say 20 degrees C then the companies producing C41 kits would by now have solved all the problems associated with such a temperature and all kits would be used at that temp.

So has anyone here used it at room temp successfully?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the question was discussed in the thread about the Rollei Digibase C-41 kit, which also claims a better temperature "latitude".

The "expert opinion" was that C-41 is C-41 is C-41, there is no shortcut, the chemistry involved requires those temperatures for best results.

That doesn't mean that processing at 20°C gives awful results. It just depends on the photographer's attitude toward quality. Given constraints, or to try the thrill of home development, good enough can be good enough. But some quality is certainly left on the table.

A cheap, approximate hot bath, even if not perfectly consistent, is probably conducive to better results than a 20° development conducted with great consistency.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    From what I have heard about developing C-41 at room temperature, was that I was not worth the effort. Your experience may vary.
    ditto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all of you. As I'm yet to process colour I've got nothing to compare it too, so at first I'll stick to recognised chems and temps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One should not forget that C41 is a process targeted at optical enlargement of the resulting negatives, which means many corrections that are trivially applied in digital post processing are not considered when judging C41 negatives. As difficult as it may be to process C41 to match Kodak's criteria, if you scan your negs you can get away with all kinds of processing errors, and let's be honest: most of us who shoot lots of C41 do scan their negs.

My recommendation to the thread starter would be: First, do C41 according to specs, which are whatever the instructions of your kit say. Once you got the process figured out, and if processing at room temperature saves you a lot of hassle, you can always try a test roll and see whether you get useful results.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    ... and let's be honest: most of us who shoot lots of C41 do scan their negs.
    Please do not speak for me!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin