Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 672

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I have some Fuji color Negs

and a new DR. Anyway, I can print some of my street photography from these? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask.... I've been looking for these, and just found out they're in Color There are some guys on these negs, I would LOVE too print .....

I currently have an Omega D2 enlarger..

I did find this article, but it doesn't say how to do it..

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=127

TIA

EDIT: I'm just going to give it a whirl, and see what shakes out. I think Ilford mentioned that it might take 3 to 4 times longer than a normal b/w neg.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Pfiltz; 12-03-2012 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've enlarged Portra 400 to Ilford Multigrade with excellent results, grade filters still work (as does split-grade printing), but unfiltered also works quite well.

If your results are too flat (ie: grey), increase exposure, if your prints develop too fast and are streaky, dilute the developer or add restrainer. Can use a higher grade for more contrast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know you can print in colour, right? The colour paper is cheaper than B&W paper, and the chemistry (RA4) is really cheap too. The only thing you're lacking is a colour head for your enlarger but people seem to give those away approximately weekly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks.... I'm not ready for color yet, however; I'm picking up 2 more enlargers next week from someone that is getting rid of all his DR equipment. One I think has a color head. I don't know what split grade printing is, but I'm sure I can find out about it on the web somewhere, and I don't have any restrainer.

I'm going to see what I can get from these. I normally wouldn't even think about it, but I did have some kewl images from the street that I love the b/w versions of them via scanning, and wanted to try my hand at printing them myself. I love working in the darkroom, so this will be another project of mine.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have played with this and it is quite workable though not as predictable for me as regular B&W negs. Well worth trying.

That said, I must say that polyglot is right, color printing supplies are cheap and once you get a handle on adjusting for color it is really quite easy.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IT WORKED !!!!

Oh, wait... they were positives negs... it printed out as a neg...

I did get some really good tones though...

LOL

Oh well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    wait, so you have chromes (slides), not negatives? Sadly, the technology designed to wet-print those (Cibachrome/Ilfochrome) is discontinued.

However, you can contact-print a chrome onto B&W negative film (an internegative; use TMX) and then make a print from that. Same process applies for making colour prints, just use a fine neutral C41 internegative (eg Portra 160 now that the designed-for-interneg emulsions are all gone) and print to RA4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Poly for the info. I had totally forgotten that I shot some slide with my RB67. I've got plenty of negatives that I can play with. I've scanned these neg's in the past, and have some prints from them on the wall, but I though it would be nice to try to print them myself since I've gotten my DR up and running

Shooter
    35mm
    I've printed from color negatives onto black & white paper. If you're used to black & white film, it looks and feels really strange, and it takes some tweaking to get the prints to look right. In my experience, some images made in color simply don't translate to black & white, but that's another thread.

I've also experimented with printing color slides (Velvia) onto black & white paper, then making contact prints from the paper negative. The results I got seemed a little high in contrast, but it worked. Try it with the paper negatives you made; you don't have anything to lose, and it's fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    wait, so you have chromes (slides), not negatives? Sadly, the technology designed to wet-print those (Cibachrome/Ilfochrome) is discontinued.

However, you can contact-print a chrome onto B&W negative film (an internegative; use TMX) and then make a print from that. Same process applies for making colour prints, just use a fine neutral C41 internegative (eg Portra 160 now that the designed-for-interneg emulsions are all gone) and print to RA4.
    If you have close-up/slide-copying gear for your camera, you can rephotograph the chromes onto ordinary B&W film to give a negative, all of which can be done in the light.

I used to do this regularly (as did my Dad, who shot a lot of slides)...I used a medium speed film and soft-working developer, kept the contrast of the negs more easily printable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin