Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,333   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dnjl View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would microwaving the slides kill the fungus while leaving the film intact (and dry)?
    Probably not; unless you could control the oven to a degree where you get exactly the correct amount of heat where needed, I would advise against putting slides in the microwave oven - unless you want a lump of melted plastic and a kitchen full of fumes, that is! :-D

To the OP: If the images are precious to you, I'd scan them at high res before cleaning. Better to have a dirty scan than no scan at all...

All IMO, and YMVV.
    Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    127 Format
    I found that Ronsinol lighter fluid on a cotton-bud/Q-tip is very effective at cleaning old slides like this. The fluid evaporates completely and doesn't leave smudges like Pec-12.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, I would not run such infected slides through a dedicated film scanner such as a Nikon 5000 or 9000.

A flatbed scanner such as an Epson 700 or 750 is a different story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin