Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,007   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Velvia 100F is still distinctly a species of Velvia, with significantly higher contrast and narrower exp
    range than Astia. If I were you I'd snatch up whatever Astia and E100G you can still find and freeze
    it. Provia is Fuji's middle of the road offering.
    This, exactly so.

Same story for me as OP (though I do like color neg.) I fell for Astia after shooting about two rolls, then it was gone. Went to E100G then. I've been putting together a slide show for visitors tomorrow and just sighing over how good my E100G slides look, but alas..

If you want a current production film less contrasty and saturated than Velvia, Provia is it (could try the Rollei too of course, but I have no experience with it.) I agree that Provia 400X is less saturated and contrasty than 100, albeit grainier, but not that grainy for a 400 slide film.

If you are willing to buy up existing film there is still some E100G in 35mm for not too bad prices to be found, at least in 35mm and, even more so, in 120. Sheet film is ridiculous. There seems to be somewhat better prices on Elitechrome 100, which is the amateur version of E100G, maybe a tad warmer and more saturated but a very similar film.

I've been shooting through the E100G in my fridge. I'm thinking about buying some more while I still can. I also have some Elitechrome and some E200 in there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me Velvia 50 is underexposed at E.I. 50. I always shot it at 40.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Rollei sounds like it might be something I'd like, however no one seems to have it in stock. Anyone know where to get some?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nardi View Post
    So for the time being Provia is my film of choice. It is quite beautiful, especially in 120 and 4x5. Velvia 50 is good too, but you have to know when to use it. It's not for everything, like I once thought.
    The best thing about Provia is its reciprocity characteristics. Velvia pretty much sucked after a few seconds of exposure.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    The best thing about Provia is its reciprocity characteristics. Velvia pretty much sucked after a few seconds of exposure.
    You can deftly skirt around reciprocity by using hedge metering (spot metering especially) and providing either 0.3 to 0.7 (usually too much) or more sensibly, 0.5 additioinal over an additive/averaged multispot measurement. This is what so many people forget to do, even with an onboard meter — to add "just the right amount" of correction.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You can deftly skirt around reciprocity by using hedge metering (spot metering especially) and providing either 0.3 to 0.7 (usually too much) or more sensibly, 0.5 additioinal over an additive/averaged multispot measurement. This is what so many people forget to do, even with an onboard meter — to add "just the right amount" of correction.
    Yeah, but you also have to add filtration to compensate for the magenta shift. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a pain in the backside compared to Provia.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I love Digibase CR200... ...I don't know why the film looks the way it does or what its history is (I've heard it's old aeronautic formula or something), but it's fun nevertheless. And cheap.
    It's the emulsion of the late Agfa RXS II 200 slide film currently coated on modern PET base for aerial surveying use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Provia is a good film for those of us that never developed a taste for the "unique" colors of Velvia. Being able to get it at both ISO 100 and 400 is remarkable. Once the 75 rolls of VS in the freezer are gone, Provia will be the only hope. Shoot it with a warming filter to perk up the cold Fuji colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't find it cold at all. It's a bit too contrasty and a bit too saturated, unlike Velvia which is WAY too contrasty and WAY too saturated, to be ideal overall in my view, but it's a good film and does look nice for many subjects. This refers to the 100. I find the 400 a very different animal and actually prefer the more muted saturation. Well it's not "muted" really but it's less saturated than the 100. I just don't care for the grain of the 400 which, while not too bad for a 400 speed slide film, is still considerably and noticeably more than the 100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin