Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,421   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

So now what? -Slide film in 35mm

I love shooting slides on my Leica M6. They look great. I've always loved chromes! I mostly scan for output and I really loving being able to put the slide on a light table and match the color to the monitor, and I even love to project them here and there.. I don't really care for the dumb c-41 orange negatives that I can't really read well.

My all time favorite is Astia 100F, such natural beautiful colors. Of course no more of that in 35mm, so I heard Kodak E100G was a good replacement, but alas it's gone too.
    Velvia is just too saturated typically for what I like, I may have to give Provia another chance
    SO now what do I shoot?

Maybe I'll break out the Rolleiflex and slap some 120 astia in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Provia is still available in most formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet but you could try Rollei digibase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes Astia was one of my favorites in 120 because of its extremely natural rendition. Very sad they stopped production. I like Provia 400X too. It is not as fine grained but colors are still pretty close to reality, though it is more contrasty than Astia. But the chromes look sharper!

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently tried (on accident) Fuji Velvia 100F. First off, wipe the word "Velvia" from your mind. It's NOT Velvia. I have no idea why Fuji calls it that. To me, Velvia was, and will always be Velvia 50, that oversaturated marvel that would not die. The saturation in Velvia 100F is subdued, pleasant, and very Astia-like. Provia to me is much more saturated.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Velvia 100F is still distinctly a species of Velvia, with significantly higher contrast and narrower exp
    range than Astia. If I were you I'd snatch up whatever Astia and E100G you can still find and freeze
    it. Provia is Fuji's middle of the road offering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Velvia 100F is being discontinued, but still available now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

So now what? -Slide film in 35mm

Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    I love shooting slides on my Leica M6. They look great. I've always loved chromes! I mostly scan for output and I really loving being able to put the slide on a light table and match the color to the monitor, and I even love to project them here and there.. I don't really care for the dumb c-41 orange negatives that I can't really read well.

My all time favorite is Astia 100F, such natural beautiful colors. Of course no more of that in 35mm, so I heard Kodak E100G was a good replacement, but alas it's gone too.
    Velvia is just too saturated typically for what I like, I may have to give Provia another chance
    SO now what do I shoot?

Maybe I'll break out the Rolleiflex and slap some 120 astia in it.
    I'm very much like you. I love slides. In all formats. The bigger the better. Fuji Provia is probably your best option since it is currently available. I have never had the pleasure of Astia largely because I am a landscape photographer who mostly used Velvia 50. But now that I am getting older I am starting to appreciate the subtleties of Provia over Velvia 50. Now would be the time for me to try Astia but, alas, it is no longer, and I don't want to start liking it knowing full well that it's discontinued. So for the time being Provia is my film of choice. It is quite beautiful, especially in 120 and 4x5. Velvia 50 is good too, but you have to know when to use it. It's not for everything, like I once thought.
    David S. Nardi Photography
    'preserving the beauty in nature'
    www.davidnardi.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
    I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet but you could try Rollei digibase.
    I love Digibase CR200. However, it is not a viable alternative for E100G, Astia, or anything else for that matter; the Freestyle description and sample photos are comically misleading. It has a strong yellow cast and very coarse grain (I'm talking about CR200 processed normally as an E6 film, by the way). It's made on a thin, yet untearable polyester base that I've heard can actually hurt your camera if you're not careful. I don't know why the film looks the way it does or what its history is (I've heard it's old aeronautic formula or something), but it's fun nevertheless. And cheap.

I do think everyone should try it at least once; if for no other reason, buy the 35mm double-pack for the awesome reusable film holder.

EDIT: To be fair to Freestyle, I checked a couple of other websites that sell the film and they have the same descriptions.
    Last edited by LJSLATER; 12-07-2012 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Temper Velvia 50 by downrating it e.g. EI80, expose in diffuse light. This stuff about it being "too saturated" is rubbish. You can vary the rendition depending on prevailing conditions (light), whether or not you are using a polariser (only in diffuse light), and if you are compensating that to "lift" the scene.

Velvia 100F is a bit more difficult to work with, but best left at 100 for exposure, also in diffuse light. I don't think anybody is going to shed a tear for the loss of Velvia 100F (discontinued); it's a particularly difficult emulsion to scan and to print, very especially with the (defunct) Ilfochrome Classic process.

Neither of these films were designed or intended for use in bright point light e.g. outside bright sunny days.
    Provia 100/F has a noticeably muted palette and better contrast making it a good all-rounder.

Astia is a Velvia clone with an altered palette (greens and blues).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin