Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,035   Online: 808

Shooter
    Multi Format

Crystal Archive Type II and Kodak RA-RT?

I am slowly setting up an RA-4 darkroom and gleaning as much information as I can along the way. There seem to be a number of folk here that say not to use Fuji paper with Kodak chemistry. Specifically, my plan was to use CA II with RA-RT in a roller transport environment. Is this an alligator just waiting to chomp my ass? Eventually I plan to go with some sort of manually temperature controlled drum rig for those few prints I want to produce in larger sizes, so your thoughts on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks, ~j

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use this combination with excellent results.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I use this combination with excellent results.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    +1
    +2 I actually prefer CA paper over Kodak. Call me weird.

Shooter
    35mm
    Considering that Kodak paper can only be bought in UK as rolls and not cut sheets that is a big incentive to buy Fuji. I didn't like Fuji at first but it has it's good points as I now find. However the base on which Fuji is coated is quite a bit thinner than Kodak so it will form kinks easier, I could be persuaded back to Kodak should they see fit to sell it in cut sizes. For one thing, I find the blacks on Kodak paper are a lot better and purer than Fuji

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or alternatively, are there any third-party cutters of Endura in the US?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is one company, Ultrafine, but there have been complaints that it is fogged by a safelight when they cut it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In side-by-side comparisons I have done with CA II and Endura in RA-RT developer, they are nearly identical with the Kodak having slightly better shadow detail.

Shooter
    Large Format
    To my eyes Fuji ca and kodak premiere are two very different papers that yield distinctly different results. I prefer the premiere - cleaner whites, reasonable saturation and contrast, more neutral palette, better dmax.

Currently I'm up to my ears in 11" wide kodak endura premiere, f surface should anyone like to try a box of 50 or 100 sheets. I've sold a few boxes here in the past. PM me if interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the people starting to do RA-4 processing is certainly encouraging. I may just haul out the Jobo and do some again myself.

I processed Fuji Crystal Archive in standard Kodak RA-4 chemicals (not the machine versions) for years with good results. I have heard of people using Fuji paper in Kodak machines and vice-versa with good results, but I have no experience there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin