Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,548   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Portra 400 Overexposed - How do I develop it now?

Just a dumb thing to do but today I did some still life work with 4x5 and 120. With 4x5 I used Portra 160 and calibrated the light meter to suit. Then I switched to my Mamiya with a roll of Portra 120 400 forgetting to alter the light meter settings. To add to the dilemma they were 30 second exposures in low light. Oh shit, I had spent 6 hours labouring away on getting everything right, well almost everthing as it turns out.

It wasn't until I was packing up my gear I realised the stuff up. Half the 120 film was already exposed at the correct levels. Can the overexposed shots be rescued in the developing or is the gap too great? I am happy to take a guess and cut the film where I think the overexposed shots start to develop it separately to the rest.

I use Tetanol Colourtec C-41 solutions for developing.

Thanks
    Last edited by Colin D; 12-10-2012 at 12:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a negative, so a 1.5 stop over exposure is probably gonna be just fine. According to documents, it's not advisable to "pull" develop color negative film.

Here's and example of an ISO 400 film shot at ISO 100 (full 2-stop over exposure) and then developed normally (not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/foole/2105032322/

As you can see, there be no problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of lighting conditions were you working in? Was it contrasty, with deep shadows and brilliant highlights, or....?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that makes me feel a bit better rh.

matt, very little contrast as it happens, that should work in my favour shouldn't it? the subjects were side lit through a gap in a curtain, no direct light, just indirect light with a very small reflector filling in one side of a subject.

thanks to both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the linear response, this overexposure should cause no problems. Develop normally, print through the extra density.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't sweat it. Color negatives are very, very, very forgiving of overexposure.

Process film normally, add extra exposure time for the paper.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    +2 stops is nothing for Portra. You'll possibly only pick the difference if you do an A/B direct comparison.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It'll look better than portra exposed at 400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    It'll look better than portra exposed at 400.
    Agree with that, Portra only seems to get better the more exposure it gets. I've probably gone 4 stops over, still looks fine, goes a little more "washed out", but easily changed if you're scanning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post
    that makes me feel a bit better rh.

matt, very little contrast as it happens, that should work in my favour shouldn't it? the subjects were side lit through a gap in a curtain, no direct light, just indirect light with a very small reflector filling in one side of a subject.

thanks to both.
    You are welcome .

As the light is fairly low in contrast, you may have inadvertently improved your results by over-exposing the film.

In any event, it should come out fine if developed normally.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin