Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah it might, having velvia 50 or even 400X packaged in super 8 cartridges is a good option, but we need one that is viable for dealers in the UK to import, here in the UK only kodak stocks have been available, up to this point, the widescreen centre is going to figure out a way of filling the gap, as are a couple of smaller businesses i have talked to, notably Kev from gauge film, whom I order all my 100D from usually. I passed on links you provided AgX to a couple of smaller businesses as a starting point.

Jacob

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sad thing is that the film is not only discontinued in small sizes but also in 16 & 35mm and that at time were Fujifilm killed their MP-Lineup. So basically it's bye bye to Color Reversal film in the pro motion picture market.
    Nobody should blame Kodak after all Fuji gave the MP-Film world a big F**ck you a few months ago and Kodak still offers Super 8 and other Films.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniac View Post
    Well... I don't know how often I had this conversation this year: "Oh really, you can still by film? (insert Color negative, b&w, Super8 here) I didn't know that. How cool, where can I get some?" Or "I thought Kodak went bankrupt, they're still around making film?" - in short: There would be more demand if the mainstream didn't believe film was extinct - part of the reason for that is that film companies stopped advertising film a decade ago. They gave up to digital without even the slightest hint of resistance when both could an can coexist in peace. Lack of demand is therefore to some degree their own fault and the few that stayed true and continued using film are the ones who have to feel the consequences for these decisions.
    I'm so immersed in the film world that it always startles me when a gray balding well to do nicely dressed gentleman says, "oh really, you can still buy film?" The last guy that said that at least was aware B&W film was till available. Unfortunately he thought that was all there was because his only interface with the film world was some photography students that worked on one of his large industrial properties. That was the thought process. He saw some students using B&W so he assumed that's all there was. I'm sure if all he saw was some lomography stuff he would assume that's all that was left.

Anyway I politely told the guy, no there is tons of stuff out there B&W, C-41, E-6, medium format, 8x10, Infrared... I mentioned I had a bunch of my stuff in my freezer. Eyes like saucers... YOU CAN FREEZE FILM?! Yes, sir. You can freeze it. CAN YOU KEEP IT FOREVER?! Mmmm.... no. Something about background radiation that still penetrates the fridge. But it'll keep for years. I then excused myself and went and took some pictures.
    Last edited by Noble; 12-12-2012 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I just ordered my last 35mm x 400' roll ever of 100D direct from Kodak. Next time I can afford to buy another roll, it won't be there any more :-(

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    That sucks If you shoot 35mm, could one order bulk rolls of say, Fuji reversal and shoot that? Would it still be a viable reversal option for 35mm shooters?

Jacob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you mean 35mm shooters as in movies, I don't think there really ever were too may of those (I'm ordering it for use as a still film.) I think a cinematographer or two convinced Kodak to make them some Ektachrome stock in 35mm with B&H perfs and Kodak went ahead and made a big batch of it to supply them and had a bunch left over. I never really saw much of an effort on their parts to market it, it just kind of sat in their catalog. But the side effect of that, which was a *huge* win for the 8mm/Super 8 shooters, was that it finally once again made available a film they could shoot, get cheaply processed (even process themselves), and project. No need for a processing house that could make prints from negatives, since those have all but disappeared. And Kodak, bless their hearts, did make some actual effort to support that and market it.

The problem, ultimately, is that no matter how rabidly that community liked and consumed the film, it just wasn't enough to get Kodak to make any more. Heck, Kodak stopped making reversal film for 35mm still cameras, and you know that market was a gazillion times bigger than the market for tiny film based movie cameras.

I've got a freezer full of bulk rolls of Fuji 35mm slide film, but I don't see where those are available any more, at least in the US. I think E6 is winding down, unfortunately :-(

Duncan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin