Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,567   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Really upset... 100D discontinued

Over at the 8mm forum http://8mmforum.film-tech.com (i cannot seem to get the link to appear, its a new topic)

100D discontinued in all formats, and vision 50 coming to super-8. I was sure but didn't want to believe once they axed their e6 35mm it meant 100D was going off stocks in warehouses...

I can shoot negative and have a positive print at andec, but the cost is too high for alot of what I shoot, and i like to process at home!! Velvia 50D is available loaded, but impossible to source in the UK easily and the cost is high! Hopefully someone from the likes of ADOX could bring out a reversal super-8 even respooled, like they did their new B/W one.

Please someone debunk this!

Jacob

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read the official statement by Kodak Germany. All Ektachrome 100D cine film is cancelled, stock is believed to last some months.

Reversal colour-film converted to Super-8 and Single-8 will still be available from small gauge suppliers as long as there will be reversal colour-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem is many of these at present, although I am sure this will change is they are hard to source in the UK.
    Hopefully this will change. I am gutted!

EDIT: http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...0514/index.htm
    Last edited by jm94; 12-12-2012 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As AgX said it's unfortunately true lack of costumers is stated as reason. I have to say that I am not astonished about this since most Super 8 productions use negative film. Respooled Velvia seems currently to be the only alternative to 100D, if the film is hard to get in the UK look no further than Germany Wittner Kinotechnik and Cinevia sell the film in their online shop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that they've left pretty much all amateur filmers hanging and the last "official" colour reversal emulsion in Super8 is gone I'm so pi**** at them I'll use up all my remaining stock of Portras and Ektars and Tri-Xs and then switch to Fuji and Ilford (well, I mostly shoot Ilford for b&w anyway) for still films and repackaged Velvia 50 for Super8. Kodak doesn't care about me and all the others they're abandoning - fine, I'll do the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniac View Post
    Now that they've left pretty much all amateur filmers hanging and the last "official" colour reversal emulsion in Super8 is gone I'm so pi**** at them I'll use up all my remaining stock of Portras and Ektars and Tri-Xs and then switch to Fuji and Ilford (well, I mostly shoot Ilford for b&w anyway) for still films and repackaged Velvia 50 for Super8. Kodak doesn't care about me and all the others they're abandoning - fine, I'll do the same.
    You'll show them for not providing a product when there's lack of demand! Next it'll be "f*cking fuji, they stopped making e6 film!"
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Well... I don't know how often I had this conversation this year: "Oh really, you can still by film? (insert Color negative, b&w, Super8 here) I didn't know that. How cool, where can I get some?" Or "I thought Kodak went bankrupt, they're still around making film?" - in short: There would be more demand if the mainstream didn't believe film was extinct - part of the reason for that is that film companies stopped advertising film a decade ago. They gave up to digital without even the slightest hint of resistance when both could an can coexist in peace. Lack of demand is therefore to some degree their own fault and the few that stayed true and continued using film are the ones who have to feel the consequences for these decisions.

You know, Kodak tells us on their sites how much film matters, in the last months we've seen statements on their commitment to film - and to E100D when in reality the last master rolls probably have been made a long time ago and they should've known for (at least) months that E100D would go away. And yet they waited until the very last minute - with only three months of stock remaining - that they're discontinuing it. That's the kind of communication practice I really don't like. Ilford and Simon Galley could teach Kodak a lesson or two in that regard.
    Last edited by moviemaniac; 12-12-2012 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hopefully ADOX can step in, they have the slitter machines required, to respool from large master rolls of say, Fuji stock?

I am going to try and contact them myself and see what can be done with regards to that... They are making a black and white reversal stock after all.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are already companies packaging Velvia 50 in S8 cartridges - GK Film and Wittner in Germany are only two I know of. It's gonna be a good day for Fuji because repackaged Velvia 50 is currently the only colour reversal film left in S8 (now that E100D will soon be gone) and since people wanting to shoot this type of film don't have any alternative Fuji will see increased sales of their Velvia material. Maybe this increasing demand is even going to help Velvia stay around, who knows. Even one more reason for me to support and buy Fuji's products.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox is neither hero nor last hope.
    There are several companies involved in supplying cine materials for niche markets. Even much longer than Adox.
    The only thing different with Adox is that on long term they try to offer the full package. However they can't do so on their own, if ever they could. They need assistance of that very industry that is being bashed on here at Apug...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin