Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,968   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Expired Portra 160NC, Should I Bother to shoot it?

Title Pretty much says it all, I got some Portra 160 that expired in '07 and from what i know has been refrigerated since It will be a bit of trouble to shoot and develop so I was wondering is it worth shooting. And what can I expect the results to look like?
    Minolta X-700, Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RB67 PRO-S

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not for something important, but my experience is that it will be "good" if stored properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been having decent experience with that film, at that age... properly stored, of course.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    slow-speed color neg film generally holds up very well even past the expiry date. I had some 10+ year expired Fuji NPS 160 and had no problems at all with the color. It MIGHT be hard to maintain exactly precise color matching from roll to roll with it, so if you were going to use it for a shoot for a catalog or advertisement where they needed to be able to guarantee that the specific shade of red on the car fender/dress/whathaveyou in reality is reproduced in the final print run without throwing off other colors, then no, I wouldn't shoot it. But this is color negative film, and it's Portra, which does an amazing job of handling mixed lighting conditions and other sub-optimal situations, so I wouldn't worry at all about shooting it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I Shot some today and Developed It in flexicolor chems, And all that I got was numbers and lines at the edges of the film that say what type it is What could have caused this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be good. Shoot it and enjoy it!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgwetworth View Post
    Well I Shot some today and Developed It in flexicolor chems, And all that I got was numbers and lines at the edges of the film that say what type it is What could have caused this?
    You did run it through a camera first, right?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hah, Yeh Its a rather old camera. Think it could be broken? EDIT: Just developed some rolls shot in a different camera, and they came out fine, guess it was just the camera.
    Last edited by jgwetworth; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had pretty good luck with expired color film. Kodak 160 from 2007 is a bit on the old side but if you set the ISO for 100 it will probably look great. I have some Fuji NPZ Pro 800 that works good at 800, but looks gorgeous yet at ISO 400. It has been kept in cold storage since new so I'm sure that helps a bit. My avatar pic was made with this film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin