Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 797

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    ... so if you take a piece of the unprocessed paper and put a large drop of water on it - with a little rubbing a layer actually rubs off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do not need to rub the water, the water turns blue by itself. Almost anyone who processes Fuji paper should know it....

If I hold a piece of Fuji paper in my wet hand, my fingers turn blue quickly.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    35mm
    See: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98263147...SUPREME-_ltNEW

Scroll down to 17. Paper Structure and you will see the paper layers exactly as PE described them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    You do not need to rub the water, the water turns blue by itself. Almost anyone who processes Fuji paper should know it....

If I hold a piece of Fuji paper in my wet hand, my fingers turn blue quickly.
    That is dye coming OUT of the paper. No layer is being washed OFF.

The layer structure diagram I referenced shows the overcoat remains in place after processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    The blue top layer of Fuji paper is not part of the Dye. It is washed away in pre-wash. It appears to be protective coating, and indicator of the emulsion side of the paper. It is mentioned somewhere that I can't remember. This is the main reason that I'm asking.
    Why would you need a dye layer that indicates which side up, on a material that is intended to be in complete darkness until after it's processed. If it's a protective layer, it makes more sense to have it completely clear, so that it does not affect the colour balance. Now if they are trying to correct some aspect of the colour balance, they could put a colour layer on top, which would wash out in processing.

If you know PE's real name, which escapes me at the moment, a lot of the patents for this stuff have his name on them, so I wouldn't argue with the guy, he knows a lot more about this stuff then you or I do.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    If you know PE's real name, which escapes me at the moment, a lot of the patents for this stuff have his name on them, so I wouldn't argue with the guy, he knows a lot more about this stuff then you or I do.

Mowrey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one answered me as to why the DYE would come out during pre-wash? It does not make sense. So it is not dye.

Have you guys used any Fuji paper?
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    35mm
    No one answered me as to why the DYE would come out during pre-wash? It does not make sense. So it is not dye.

It's NOT an imaging dye - it's there for sharpness during exposure (as PE said). It's designed to come OUT (note I do not say OFF) during processing (as PE said). It's not part of the image formation proces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One or more those "guys" have been using, and doing (or supervising and/or reviewing) scientific comparative tests, of Fuji and other non-Kodak materials for decades, as part of their work for Kodak, and on their own.

They designed this sort of stuff!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Have you guys used any Fuji paper?
    A dye not being fixed in place against a particular solvent doesn't make it not a dye.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin