Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,963   Online: 868

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Oh! I had no idea...

Gotcha, well, thanks for the lesson.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Processing Type R was a PITA. I kept the chemicals in aluminum soda cans for temperature transmission and tempered them in a tub of water. Only the first developer was really critical but the color/reversal bath was "semi-critical." I'd start running hot or cold water over the can during the previous step to get it just right by the time I poured it in. Ilfochrome ran at 75F and was just as easy as black and white otherwise. Three steps - instead of develop, stop and fix it was develop, bleach and fix. The bleach and fix just went to completion so only the developer was really sensitive to time and temperature and you could run at cooler temperatures by extending the time a bit.

One thing that is seldom mentioned was that I found color balancing easier with reversal printing. In the first place, the process seemed to have more latitude or at least was less responsive. Ilford's printing filters for Ilfochrome only went down to 5 units, and that was fine for Type R as well. For color neg you want at least 2.5 steps. (Or .025 - different makers labeled them differently but they were clearly the same thing.) Plus, with reversal prints you had a reference starting point, which could be invaluable. Color neg allowed wider swings though, better correction of incandescent or fluorescent etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Technical Pan looks great in Rodinal. They have 150 ft rolls on ebay for about $175....

I tried out the new Silvermax, developed it in Diafine and immediately ordered 40 more rolls.
    Silvermax?

Quote Adox website:

"NEW AT PHOTOKINA 2012:

ADOX SILVERMAX

SILVERMAX has an increased silver-content compared to regular films.
    This enables him to built up more DMAX and reproduce up to 14 zones in our dedicated SILVERMAX Developer.
    This way SILVERMAX catches it all for you: brightest highlights and deepest shaddows.
    SILVERMAX is incredibly sharp due to it´s anti-halation layer between the emulsion and the base.
    The detail contrast is enhanced by this as well.
    SILVERMAX features an extremely fine grain, comparable to tabular-crystal films.
    His speed and covering effect comes from the high silver content.
    SILVERMAX is coated onto clear triacetate and can be reversal processed.

Made in Germany.

Sizes:

35mm film 135/36

SILVERMAX is only available as a 35mm film and will not be manufactured in other formats."
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 12-18-2012 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I googled silvermax and read up on it... duh!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since we're talking about resisting film ... why is Adox working on re-manufacturing 110 film? wouldn't 126 be much more appealing? or 127 for that matter. Get some nice 4x4's going. I'm sure SOMEWHERE I have an old 110 but it's not very good and the film is terrible haha. I've never gotten to use 127 nor 126 film, which both seem like a much more useful film, more surface area=finer images. Actually, there's something Kodak could do, if it came out with "retro packs" it could corner the market and then produce a line of cameras, basically what they used to do, except make a deal with like Urban Outfitters like holga/lomo but with better stuff. Ektar 126 baby! now that I couldn't resist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting photos with 110 film cameras is remarkable for the same reason that tap dancing elephants are remarkable. What's amazing isn't that they do it well but the fact that they do it at all.

I agree. I'd much rather see, in rough order of preference, 1) 620 2) 127 and 3)126. I know you can respool your own 120 onto 620. You can also buy some films respooled but they're too expensive and a bit limited. I have some such respooled TMX loaded into a Kodak "faux TLR" my wife then-girlfriend got me, and I paid just over $10 a roll for it. I just shoot it for a lark though. A baby Rollei is pretty nice and there are tons of Brownies and such that can use 127. The baby Rollei will blow the lens off any 126 camera, which are themselves better than a 110 equivalent.

The cool cameras in 110 were the Minolta and Pentax SLRS. I admit they are kind of cool but the image size...ah, much rather have a Pen F half frame.

Shooter
    35mm

Silvermax

Yes, Silvermax! It is really nice film. It is making me forget about my TMAX 100 stockpile. Try some. You will believe! It is more expensive (and out of stock) at BH and Freestyle. I got mine at MACO in Germany.

Silvermax?

Quote Adox website:

"NEW AT PHOTOKINA 2012:

ADOX SILVERMAX

SILVERMAX has an increased silver-content compared to regular films.
    This enables him to built up more DMAX and reproduce up to 14 zones in our dedicated SILVERMAX Developer.
    This way SILVERMAX catches it all for you: brightest highlights and deepest shaddows.
    SILVERMAX is incredibly sharp due to it´s anti-halation layer between the emulsion and the base.
    The detail contrast is enhanced by this as well.
    SILVERMAX features an extremely fine grain, comparable to tabular-crystal films.
    His speed and covering effect comes from the high silver content.
    SILVERMAX is coated onto clear triacetate and can be reversal processed.

Made in Germany.

Sizes:

35mm film 135/36

SILVERMAX is only available as a 35mm film and will not be manufactured in other formats."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

can't resist this one film

Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Yes, Silvermax! It is really nice film. It is making me forget about my TMAX 100 stockpile. Try some. You will believe! It is more expensive (and out of stock) at BH and Freestyle. I got mine at MACO in Germany.
    They only make it in 135 and I only really shoot 120...

It seems ALL the ADOX stuff is out of stock in general and even their website says they had stopped production, so what the heck are they making? I think they are in trouble... I really just want some adinol/Rodonol but can't find any in stock anywhere.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

can't resist this one film

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Shooting photos with 110 film cameras is remarkable for the same reason that tap dancing elephants are remarkable. What's amazing isn't that they do it well but the fact that they do it at all.

I agree. I'd much rather see, in rough order of preference, 1) 620 2) 127 and 3)126. I know you can respool your own 120 onto 620. You can also buy some films respooled but they're too expensive and a bit limited. I have some such respooled TMX loaded into a Kodak "faux TLR" my wife then-girlfriend got me, and I paid just over $10 a roll for it. I just shoot it for a lark though. A baby Rollei is pretty nice and there are tons of Brownies and such that can use 127. The baby Rollei will blow the lens off any 126 camera, which are themselves better than a 110 equivalent.

The cool cameras in 110 were the Minolta and Pentax SLRS. I admit they are kind of cool but the image size...ah, much rather have a Pen F half frame.
    I don't care as much about 620, if we are talking old formats, I care more about the ones you cant easily respool. That said, 116 or 616 would be my choice of "come back" films. Again you can re-spool 70mm onto 116 but even those are expired or limited. It's just that much bigger that it makes a difference.

I just don't get enough detail from 135 to make it worth shooting and 127 just seems like a better option. I heard someone still sells it, maybe leftover stock at freestyle or something.

126 is more a novelty. Just to have shot it, like more a fun camera to use at parties.

The point is mute, my 116 has too many bellows leaks, and I don't own any 127/126 cameras so if they did make any I would have to then search out a camera with decent lens options and get a whole new system. Lol

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Understandable. 127 is probably the film with good quality cameras available and almost no film, especially with Efke going under.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The point is mute, my 116 has too many bellows leaks, and I don't own any 127/126 cameras ....
    Warning, pedantry alert!

Stone:

The phrase is "The point is moot" not "The point is mute"

Meaning: "The point is of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic"

Rather than: "The point is incapable of speech; dumb"

Sorry
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Everyone is out of stock in the US. You have to get Adox and Rollei stuff from MACO. Their shipping isn't too bad considering the expected arrival date for the US stores is late January and they keep pushing it back.

Freestyle had Rodinal in stock.

They only make it in 135 and I only really shoot 120...

It seems ALL the ADOX stuff is out of stock in general and even their website says they had stopped production, so what the heck are they making? I think they are in trouble... I really just want some adinol/Rodonol but can't find any in stock anywhere.

~Stone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin