Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 726

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I know, and I agree - for pure technical quality under low light, digital absolutely spanks film. But I enjoy shooting film, I enjoy the challenges under low light, and I often enjoy the grainy look that film gives me. I'm going to go right on shooting my remaining stock of TMZ, maybe more as long as I can still get it, and the wonderful Delta 3200 in 120. I may try D3200 in 35mm and just switch entirely though. It's a great film that I enjoy in 120 and Ilford deserves our support.
    I completely agree with everything you said, film has this elegant quality that digital just can't match, except the switching to 35mm in D3200, I've just found there's WAY too much grain when shooting at EI 3200, it's just a mess, 120 it's fine but 135 just doesn't have enough surface area... I like grain, but as stated above, I don't like looking at my images that look like George's paintings haha.

I was going to go ALL Ilford, but the tmax400 at B&H is actually cheaper than the same pro pack amount of ilford Delta 400 so I guess there's one Kodak film I'll be using. I also like night exposures, so of course Acros got me... and in an effort to use the KISS method...

50 ASA - Pan F+
    100 ASA - Acros 100
    400-800 ASA - Tmax 400
    1600-3200 - Delta 3200

I know for sure when I get a 4x5 camera I'll be sad about not being able to use Pan F+ as my main stock... ah well ... do they even have Acros in LF?

Pan F+ is certainly my "can't resist" film....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I haven't tried D3200 at 3200. But I get results I like with 35mm TMZ at 3200, and even pretty good at 6400. Not as good as digital, but good none the less.

Acros is available in 4x5. But where it's one of the least expensive films in 120, it's one of the more expensive ones in 4x5. Not prohibitive necessarily but definitely more than Delta 100 or FP4+.

You can shoot Pan F in a rollfilm back on a view camera, which gets you movements, but a lack of real wide angle capability and, of course, a smaller negative. Still, I have a 6x7 RF back which gives a bigger negative than either of my MF cameras which are 6x6 and 6x4.5.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

can't resist this one film

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well I haven't tried D3200 at 3200. But I get results I like with 35mm TMZ at 3200, and even pretty good at 6400. Not as good as digital, but good none the less.

Acros is available in 4x5. But where it's one of the least expensive films in 120, it's one of the more expensive ones in 4x5. Not prohibitive necessarily but definitely more than Delta 100 or FP4+.

You can shoot Pan F in a rollfilm back on a view camera, which gets you movements, but a lack of real wide angle capability and, of course, a smaller negative. Still, I have a 6x7 RF back which gives a bigger negative than either of my MF cameras which are 6x6 and 6x4.5.
    Interesting about Acros... Ok Delta 100 it is

I will probably stick to 4x5 sheets, I already have two 6x7 cameras plus my Kodak folders which are 6x8ish and 7x9ish...

Who knows seems like I won't find a 4x5 anytime soon in my price range and my demand for movements in a field camera... Blah... Haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Oh and my only experience using P3200 at 3200 in 35mm was while I was using a red filter during Hurricane Sandy, so it was probably more grainy than normal... Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TMax 3200 is a gorgeous film. It prints kind of like old Tri-X in its glorious tonality, and the grain looks fantastic in big prints. I am extremely sad to see it go.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I couldn't resist buying some boxes of Technidol at a local store here that doesn't even sell film anymore. Who knows how many years it had been sitting there collecting dust. I didn't need it, and I never even liked Technical Pan - although I thought TD-3 worked better with it than Technidol. But when I saw the lonely yellow boxes sitting there I had to take them home with me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I couldn't resist buying some boxes of Technidol at a local store here that doesn't even sell film anymore. Who knows how many years it had been sitting there collecting dust. I didn't need it, and I never even liked Technical Pan - although I thought TD-3 worked better with it than Technidol. But when I saw the lonely yellow boxes sitting there I had to take them home with me.
    Care to share them???

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. I never used Technidol, but I just purchased a lot of TD-3 for my Tech Pan hoarding result. Good to know that it's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love Tech Pan and used it exclusively for some projects back in the day. A few years ago I went through a big acquisition stage and bought up as much as I could find at the time, at least 7 or 8 bulk rolls, 60+ rolls of 120, some 4x5, and probably 30-40 boxes of Tecnhidol, just as that was getting closed out. I still buy it in 120 and 4x5 when I find it and the price is right. I also still look for HIE in 4x5 (or 120) and pick that up when I can, it has a unique look.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I love Tech Pan and used it exclusively for some projects back in the day. A few years ago I went through a big acquisition stage and bought up as much as I could find at the time, at least 7 or 8 bulk rolls, 60+ rolls of 120, some 4x5, and probably 30-40 boxes of Tecnhidol, just as that was getting closed out. I still buy it in 120 and 4x5 when I find it and the price is right. I also still look for HIE in 4x5 (or 120) and pick that up when I can, it has a unique look.
    At this point are you getting some rotten/fogged/etc film? I only own a few rolls (2 120 and about 8 135's) and out of those only ONE of the 120's I am positive was stored frozen since new and also happens to be the last batch in the new box.

I'm wondering how bad my other rolls will be... the 35's are certainly a much older batch. Yes I know lots of it was from the same "discovered" ginormous roll but that was in deep freeze so not prone to much aging.

thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin