Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,320   Online: 948

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I love Tri-X 400 for everything that I do, I would love for TMax 3200 to stick around, and I like buying a roll of Delta 3200 in 120 once in a while too. Very beautiful film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find those colors very beautiful where I'm looking. Have you had them RA-4 printed?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Portra in general, I don't like C-41 films really, too expensive and to hard to "read" the neg, would rather have E-6 or B&W 220... If E-6 dies I'm probably going fully Digital on the color. I do like Ektar if I'm in a pinch. It's just all too expensive to process...

I haven't shot a LOT of portra but the 400 I shot I found dull and the skin tones grey and blueish... And warning these are not a reflection of "my work" as I was messing around with my new Mamiya 7 at the time when visiting a very pregnant friend, and seeing how slow a shutter I could get hand held in a dark room, this was 1/15 or 1/8 or around there. And just the only example I have on my phone.

Even in those conditions I don't think the colors should have been so dull.

Anyway I just want some damn B&W 220 in maybe a 400ASA? Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

can't resist this one film

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I find those colors very beautiful where I'm looking. Have you had them RA-4 printed?
    No sadly I don't optically print

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that process is your problem. I get lovely, saturated but realistic colors from Portra 400 (and 160.) I don't have a lot of them on my Flickr page, but have plenty of prints I could scan and post. I've never seen colors like that from Portra, at least not unintentionally (easy enough to get in a hybrid work flow, actually very difficult to get such muted colors printing on RA4.) I'm not printing RA4 now either, though I used to and may again. I'm having mine commercially printed.

Here's a photo of my wife from a 645 Portra 400 negative:

Alicia - Troy AL by Roger Cole, on Flickr

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I think that process is your problem. I get lovely, saturated but realistic colors from Portra 400 (and 160.) I don't have a lot of them on my Flickr page, but have plenty of prints I could scan and post. I've never seen colors like that from Portra, at least not unintentionally (easy enough to get in a hybrid work flow, actually very difficult to get such muted colors printing on RA4.) I'm not printing RA4 now either, though I used to and may again. I'm having mine commercially printed.

Here's a photo of my wife from a 645 Portra 400 negative:

Alicia - Troy AL by Roger Cole, on Flickr
    Gotcha, yea process was done at the local lab. I have one C-41 kit and I keep trying to stock up on exposed rolls of C-41 but before I can get 8 together I break down and bring it to the lab with some "important" roll that can't wait.

I also don't know about image stabilization on c-41 I know there was a roll shot 6 years ago, half used, and the last half had the failed color shift (green in the shadows) but the earlier images were fine (this was an ex's camera I discovered and shot her with). Buying don't know if that was a rarity or if C-41 is much more stable... But I don't like letting it sit undeveloped for months without knowing...

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone:

The colour and saturation of the images you posted are due to:
    1) the illumination at the scene; and
    2) the process used to come up with a display image.

The two images below were shot on Portra 160NC - the slightly less saturated version of the current Portra 160. The difference in their appearance is due mostly to the placement and diffusion of the light source.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orchid Image01d-2011-11-04b.jpg   Orchid Image07d-2011-11-04b.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stone:

The colour and saturation of the images you posted are due to:
    1) the illumination at the scene; and
    2) the process used to come up with a display image.

The two images below were shot on Portra 160NC - the slightly less saturated version of the current Portra 160. The difference in their appearance is due mostly to the placement and diffusion of the light source.
    I see. Thanks.

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    I am actually with you. I must have $3,000 US worth of Velvia in my freezer, but if I buy a gallon on Arista E6, I end up with at least a quart left because I shoot bw and E6 at the same time. That quart or so gets old and I have to chuck it. And Rodinal lasts forever!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I wish the Arista kits were cheaper, E-6 is so ridiculous in price compared to B&W it's pushing me out of the game, I just got a pro pack of provia for Christmas but after I run through that I think I'm done, it's just too expensive... I don't really know why.

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    As I was buying another batch of E6 positive in the ISO100 and 200 range I couldn't resist buying another 2 rolls of expensive provia400X. It's such a lovely thought being able to shoot chromes up to ISO800.
    Provia 400 can be easily pushed two stops. The results at ISO 1600 are excellent, and I suspect it can be pushed to 3200 with no problem. On the list of things to try.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    I am actually with you. I must have $3,000 US worth of Velvia in my freezer, but if I buy a gallon on Arista E6, I end up with at least a quart left because I shoot bw and E6 at the same time. That quart or so gets old and I have to chuck it. And Rodinal lasts forever!
    Oh maybe you should send me some of that Velvia, I'll take it off your hands so you won't have to deal with it

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin