Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,800   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Medium Format

3 Week Old RA4 - Dump or Replenish?

Hi I have some RA4 that has been sitting in a Nova 8x10 slot processor after 3 weeks. Previously ran some sheets throught it.

Is it OK to top it off and continue to use it, or will print longevity be adversely affected by using old RA4?

PS if "re-use" I assume I should aerate the bleach/fix as a first step.(?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've struggled with getting RA-4 to replenish well so I just exhaust it and toss it anymore. I use a JOBO so the volume is pretty small.

I have done two weekends but not three.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    There have been several threads on this but my experience is that if the tubes are replaced on the slots 3 weeks isn't too long. Someone else who has claimed similar or maybe greater times than 3 weeks recommends cling film over the top of the Nova as well.

There is a ratio of replenishment for RA4 and I'd err on the safe side and certainly replenish even if you only did a couple of sheets.

Do this then try one sheets through the "old" dev and see if there is any noticeable deterioration. It'll cost you one sheet at most and if it is fine, save you a lot over a period.

No point in throwing away dev if it is useable.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it will be fine. I've gone much longer than three weeks without any perceptible issues.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't worry about 'print longevity'. If it works, it works. Keep in PET plastic or glass, filled to the rim. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, remember that most of the developer should be resplenished. Or you'll have to use starter.

No matter what, you should monitor the condition of the chemicals. For commercial use, you can use control strips to test. For personal use, print test strips with known good chemicals and the old chemicals to see if there is any difference.

For old chemicals, you should at least replenish 1/3 of the volume if they are more than 2 weeks.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin