Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,262   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Looking for the world's grainest color film

Hi Folks,

I would like to do a project with very grainy color film in 35 mm format, negative or slide film.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'm looking for something like the old GAF 500 film if that's still possible.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any 200 speed film pushed two stops to 800 will be very grainy, but I don't know what GAF is to make a similar suggestion.

Another option for slides is finding some older Kodak 400 ektachrome--the only time I shot this the grain looked big and you can always push it a stop.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to get more grain when cross processing slide film. OTOH Unless I enlarge it alot the grain doesn't show in the print. The diffusion enlarger seems to hide the grain. Does that make sense?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Don
    A friend of mine made some very interesting pics with Fuji Provia 400 ISO @ 1600 EI. Very grainy and nice colors. They where done with a 50mm and PK11a @ f/1.4, We really have to help him through that crisis
    Regards S°ren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    kodak epj 1600 crossed or straight. any 800 speed film pulled 2 stops seems to get more grain than then shot as rated or pushed -- just my non scientific observation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ralph Gibson did *beautiful* figure study work with Agfachrome 1000 (a transparency film) pushed two and three stops - for the very purpose of obtaining coarse grain.

Now - I would try the fastest color negative film I could find and, push the same way - two to three stops. A danger here (as it probably was with Gibson's Agfachrome) is color fidelity/ crossover.

That wouldn't prevent me from trying it, though.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I met a fashion photographer once who got nice grain effects with Provia 400F, probably pushed two stops.

Check the clearance section of http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ and you might find some cold stored Fuji films (and maybe others) that are older and grainier. They had 100-foot rolls of RMS really cheap not long ago, and probably still have some. I bought 100 rolls of RMS in 120 from them, and it's been fine. It's designed for pushing, but was discontinued with the introduction of Provia 400F. RMS has sharper, bigger grain than Provia 400F. For really big grain, push RMS 4 stops and rate it at EI 1000.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Don,

Find some badly outdated 800 or 1600 on ebay.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    All the really good stuff is long gone (Konica 3200, Kodak RF1000, Agfachrome 1000). Pushing Fuji 1600 would be my first choice. You also don't need to use the full frame--shoot loose, crop hard.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Krueger
    All the really good stuff is long gone (Konica 3200, Kodak RF1000, Agfachrome 1000). Pushing Fuji 1600 would be my first choice. You also don't need to use the full frame--shoot loose, crop hard.
    Roger,

Indeed you are correct, all of the good grainy films are gone. I've used Fuji 1600 and was disappointed with the grain (lack of). I prefer to shoot full frame though, I'll try pushing some E-6s like F 1600.

Kodak Max may be a good candidate as it seems quite grainy from what I've seen and perhaps cheeap too.

Thanks,

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin