Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,653   Online: 713

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Photographers Formulary has Kodak kits in 1L size. I have used them and they are fine. They are repackaged from larger Kodak kits and the repackaging is done under Nitrogen. IDK if any are left though.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Photographers Formulary has Kodak kits in 1L size. I have used them and they are fine. They are repackaged from larger Kodak kits and the repackaging is done under Nitrogen. IDK if any are left though.

PE
    Yeah, I thought I read here that they were gone. Wouldn't they only be good for about 12 rolls, though? What do you think of my SM scheme above? Are there better options still available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Trebla chemicals. They make genuine EK kits. The company is run by former EK engineers.

The Formulary may still have kits left, or may have run off a new batch. I have 2 here.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try Trebla chemicals. They make genuine EK kits. The company is run by former EK engineers.

The Formulary may still have kits left, or may have run off a new batch. I have 2 here.

PE
    I emailed a couple of dealers about the Trebla kit yesterday, so hopefully that works out. Seems like a great deal.

Shooter
    35mm

PE
    That's fine for those of you in the United States, but AFAIK nobody is doing it here in Canada..... There is some stuff by Champion, but the smallest size for developer is 10L.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had 10L kits that I divided up myself and used bit by bit. They lasted for a year or so and did a fine job. You just have to look out for the developer part turning dark like coffee. I have had that but at about 1 years time.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Looks like the PF is permanently gone, as is the Trebla. I was able to find a Trebla kit left over, though.

How crucial is the dev starter for the Trebla? It is discontinued.
    Last edited by cbphoto; 01-02-2013 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that starter is just bromide (am I incorrect?) to slow things down initially, until enough bromide has gotten into the solution to slow things down on its own. Not needed if you: do 'one shot' and make appropriate time adjustments. Again, correct me if I err. - David Lyga

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I believe that starter is just bromide (am I incorrect?) to slow things down initially, until enough bromide has gotten into the solution to slow things down on its own. Not needed if you: do 'one shot' and make appropriate time adjustments. Again, correct me if I err. - David Lyga
    This is my understanding of the function of the starter and bromide, and someone correct me if I am wrong.

Bromide is the restrainer, which is not put or needed in replenisher, as it was already in the original developer when it was first mixed, and continually replaced as a by-product of development. The restrainer (usually bromide) is needed in nearly all developers to prevent unexposed silver halides from developing, producing fog.

Now, If you want to make a working solution out of the replenisher, then you must add starter, which has bromide (restrainer) in it. As far as I know, the only use for starter is to make a working solution out of replenisher. I don't see how it can be left out for one-shot development, even with a time adjustment.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that that is not necessarily the case RPC.

Look, if you use your working solution 'one shot', there is a built-in consistency there. The TIME and TEMP needed will be consistent for each film because EACH FILM gets its 'new' developer.

Any necessary restrainer has already been added to the developer by the manufacturer. I have NO problems with fresh film yielding absolutely NO FOG and I use NO starter with my 1+14 dilution (see my recent 'dilution' thread). In fact, the film I normally use 'expired' in 1998 and kept cold: Fuji Super G+ 100. - David Lyga

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin