Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,072   Online: 1041

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I haven't seen bleach sold for much less than $90, and I don't intend to undertake mixing my own. Got to leave SOME time for shooting .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One more question: the Trebla kit comes with 10L worth of developer, roughly 1 gallon of bleach, and 15L worth of fixer. Why so much fixer? I understand that the bleach is supposedly more reusable than the developer, but is the fixer less so? I was not under that impression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is roughly 3x more silver halide in a color film than in a B&W film. So, all else being equal, color fixes are exhausted faster than B&W fixes.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I did not know that. Thanks! I'll do the math and make sure I run out of everything at the same time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quick follow up: I bought a can of wine preserver to use after opening the concentrates for partial quantities. It says it contains Ar, CO2, and N2. Is this ok? Am I correct that I do not need to fill up the empty space in the concentrate bottles, but only need to cover the surface area? Sorry for the basic questions, but I've never used this stuff. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO NOT USE CO2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Damn. Luckily I am also a wino, so it won't totally go to waste.

So what specifically is the best inexpensive, readily available product for protecting the concentrates?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Damn. Luckily I am also a wino, so it won't totally go to waste.

So what specifically is the best inexpensive, readily available product for protecting the concentrates?
    A real wino has no need to save wine............

Wow, I can't believe how much angst has gone into this so-called problem. I suggested freezing it, which has worked fine for my B&W. The technique has worked fine for an author writing in Shutterbug some years ago on C-41 developing. I suggested it above and the only comment was someone saying, "I'm not putting photochemicals in the freezer." To which I never asked, "Why not?" All those barely toxic chemicals gonna jump through your bottle walls and your food bags to intermix or something?

Then there are accordion bottles.

Or just refrigerate.

Or the old standby of a glass bottle and glass marbles.

But if you use a developer at all, i.e., not one shot, it will degrade over time unless frozen.

I've observed many times how a discussion on APUG seems to be more about keeping the discussion going than finding a solution. No pun intended.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The problem with these threads is that people say things like "nitrogen", which doesn't mean anything to someone looking to just buy a product to solve a problem and not make a science project out of it. It's the lack of definitive specificity and simplicity that keeps these questions coming up.

My freezer is already full, unfortunately, and I have no space for another. Inert gas seems to be the most elegant solution, so I just need a specific product recommendation.
    Last edited by cbphoto; 01-26-2013 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tried freezing color developers and it caused the ingredients to visibly separate. Then, upon thawing I had to shake it up to make it uniform, further oxidizing it. I don't recommend it. Mixed developers keep a long time if stored unfrozen in full, tightly sealed glass or high quality plastic bottles. That is the best way to store them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin