Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,230   Online: 743

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    I have tried freezing color developers and it caused the ingredients to visibly separate. Then, upon thawing I had to shake it up to make it uniform, further oxidizing it. I don't recommend it. Mixed developers keep a long time if stored unfrozen in full, tightly sealed glass or high quality plastic bottles. That is the best way to store them.
    It's the "full" part that is difficult if mixing partial quantities, unless you own a bottle store.

Looks like Freestyle is still selling Protectan (which I had a hard time finding before - thought it was gone). Someone also mentioned a while ago that they use butane lighter refills. Can someone confirm that a standard butane spray (like Ronson) contains no other chemicals that should not come into contact with C41 concentrates?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freezing causes ingredients to separate or crystallize and the shaking and mixing entrain oxygen and cause deterioration when you are trying to re-dissolve the chemistry.

In plastic bottles, the organics WILL exchange with food! Ever notice that "freezer" or "refrigerator" taste food sometimes takes on when strong food is stored in them? Consider that developer is a strong food with a high rate of exchange. DON'T freeze developer. Probably you should not freeze any of the solutions. Bleach, blix and fix will begin to give your food an ammonia odor and the final rinse is a bacteriostat which should not be ingested but which can also exchange in the freezer.

There are many air displacement methods and gases specially prepared for this. Even winos should know that CO2 is bad for wine. It adds extra acidity and can spoil wine as well as developer. Use a non-CO2 gas mix. Use glass with corks, use accordion bottles, use marbles. Or, use the developer to capacity in one session and toss it.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    It's the "full" part that is difficult if mixing partial quantities, unless you own a bottle store.
    I use canning or Mason jars that come in half-gallon, quart, pint and half-pint sizes, which makes that problem easier to manage. And they are relatively inexpensive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

There are many air displacement methods and gases specially prepared for this. Even winos should know that CO2 is bad for wine. It adds extra acidity and can spoil wine as well as developer. Use a non-CO2 gas mix. Use glass with corks, use accordion bottles, use marbles. Or, use the developer to capacity in one session and toss it.

PE
    I certainly would not have bought it if they listed the ingredients on the site. It's mind-boggling that someone would sell a product that runs exactly counter to its intended use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marbles! Accordion bottles! It is easy if you try to stretch your mind.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Marbles! Accordion bottles! It is easy if you try to stretch your mind.

PE
    Both are messy solutions compared to simple air displacement. Just need a specific, since I've never done it before. Is butane lighter refill spray safe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are several threads here on air displacement.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What about getting the Rollei kit in single units from Maco Direct. 5x1L bottles which can be delivered to North America and which will make 10L of developer. This is good for 200-300 rolls of film.

It probably isn't quite as economical as larger kits but you only have 5 sensible sized bottles to store and the keeping properties of this kit are great.

I'm still using my first 1.5l of working solution 8 months and 30+ rolls of film later.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are several threads here on air displacement.

PE
    I've read them all, which is why I am confused. Seems like every suggestion has a dissenting opinion! I'm going to try the butane route and see what happens.

This wouldn't be an issue if the working solutions would keep longer than the 6 weeks that Kodak estimates. Maybe they do in reality, but I'm not comfortable risking it. I could easily mix up 10L and fill up 5 soda bottles, but I will not get through them all in 6 weeks.
    Last edited by cbphoto; 01-26-2013 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In filled plastic bottles I have kept C41 developer for over 3 month 9unused) and over 6 weeks used!

PE

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin