Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,699   Online: 846

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    "Food and organic chemicals do exchange volatiles. If you do not believe me, than go ahead. PE"

Come on. At zero degrees Fahrenheit? Through plastic or other barriers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    "Food and organic chemicals do exchange volatiles. If you do not believe me, than go ahead. PE"

Come on. At zero degrees Fahrenheit? Through plastic or other barriers?
    Maybe it does affect a persons ability to think or reason.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul;

We divided up a celery root (celeriac) to use some and freeze the rest. Our freezer is below zero. Within a few weeks, the entire freezer smelled of celery. The taste spread, and even today nearly 10 years later, there is still a hint of the odor. The celery odor compound is an organic chemical not that much different in molecular weight and vapor pressure than some of the volatiles in color developers.

Enjoy your food.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Maybe it does affect a persons ability to think or reason.
    Not at all.....not at all.....not at all....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Paul;

We divided up a celery root (celeriac) to use some and freeze the rest. Our freezer is below zero. Within a few weeks, the entire freezer smelled of celery. The taste spread, and even today nearly 10 years later, there is still a hint of the odor. The celery odor compound is an organic chemical not that much different in molecular weight and vapor pressure than some of the volatiles in color developers.

Enjoy your food.

PE
    And this was in, for instance, heavy duty, sealed freezer bags?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On a related note, did you know that celery contains pheromones that attract women? PE, have you noticed girls hovering around your freezer after this incident?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most people are more interested in the photographic materials IN the freezer. In unopened original packages I might add.

And the celeriac was in aluminum foil and DOUBLE bagged, because I wanted it to keep the odor and freshness in.

So, how many here who freeze or refrigerate photographic solutions double bag?

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    FYI - Today I picked up 5 of these in a 2L size, and one in 5L: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...uctId=10011037

There are certainly cheaper jars out there, but all of the others I was finding were measured in ounces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those would probably work reasonably well, with the following concerns:

That 5L jar in particular would be quite heavy, and all of them would be a bit slippery.

I would also recommend that you dedicate each jar to a particular chemical, because the seals may absorb chemicals.

It might be a good idea to have some extra seals on hand.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Jobo containers. They are the thickest plastic containers with the best protection that I have seen. They come in frosted and black.

PE

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin