Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,642   Online: 1212

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few variables to consider as to processing, storage, etc. I recently looked at my E4 slides I processed in college 1975. I don't see any fading in them...look as good as ever. And they were my first attempt with E4. Wished I would have shot more. I'm trying to shoot more these days 135 as well as 120. I use a Kodak pocket viewer for the 135 at first and then maybe once a year set up the projector ...might be awhile until I can project the 120...if ever. I have scanned and printed very few.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of slide projector does medium format? Do they still make them or do you have to go garage sailing to find one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    What kind of slide projector does medium format? Do they still make them or do you have to go garage sailing to find one.
    Here is a new one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...413+4291255978

I paid $200-$300 for a used, older Rollei projector from a camera store 3 years ago (I think).

They show up sometimes on Craigslist.

EDIT: here is one on eBay from Hong Kong: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kindermann-Di...item3a65f153df
    Last edited by MattKing; 01-03-2013 at 11:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    But I'm wondering how most people use slides...but at the end of the day, it seems that I am confused at how best to use them.
    Prints. Perhaps some very big ones. For others and yourself. Not too many, of course. Display them. Ahh...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Here is a new one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...413+4291255978

I paid $200-$300 for a used, older Rollei projector from a camera store 3 years ago (I think).

They show up sometimes on Craigslist.

EDIT: here is one on eBay from Hong Kong: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kindermann-Di...item3a65f153df
    A $2600 slide projector is NOT going to happen. I will give up shooting E6 if that is the price one has to pay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, this is APUG.....however,

I scan my MF transparencies on an Epson Perfection v500 that I got on sale for $150 at Staples. I scan at 2400 dpi and have printed these files at 20x24 and they look incredible. I've had people walk into the room where these prints are hanging and they give them rave reviews. I've seen work (by much better photographers than me) in galleries that looks like you could walk into the photograph; shot on 6x17 Provia and Velvia. These are printed 24x72 and bigger. 4x5 and 8x10 slide film looks fantastic when printed 40x50 and bigger. I currently have some slides sent out for drum scanning at 4000 dpi, which is the limit of slides if excellent technique and equipment is used, just to see how much better they are than the flatbed scanner I have.

For web and small prints (ie.. I did a family calendar of Lake Tahoe images) I scan at 1200 dpi strait to JPEG and import to iPhoto.

My first 4x5 slides are sitting on a light table so I can stare at them... they are amazing to look at, and I'm a schmo.

Anyway, thats what I do with slides.
    "Crap, why didn't I take more pictures"
    Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A $2600 slide projector is NOT going to happen. I will give up shooting E6 if that is the price one has to pay.
    You don't have to pay that much.

If you do pay that much, it is because:
    1) you can afford to; and
    2) it is easy and convenient to buy new; and (maybe)
    3) your needs are such that new, under warranty equipment makes economic sense.

For a current comparable, I would ask you to compare what would you pay for a medium quality digital projector - how about this one? :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Projector.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photo_griz View Post

I scan my MF transparencies on an Epson Perfection v500 that I got on sale for $150 at Staples. I scan at 2400 dpi and have printed these files at 20x24 and they look incredible. I've had people walk into the room where these prints are hanging and they give them rave reviews. I've seen work (by much better photographers than me) in galleries that looks like you could walk into the photograph; shot on 6x17 Provia and Velvia. These are printed 24x72 and bigger. 4x5 and 8x10 slide film looks fantastic when printed 40x50 and bigger. I currently have some slides sent out for drum scanning at 4000 dpi, which is the limit of slides if excellent technique and equipment is used, just to see how much better they are than the flatbed scanner I have.

For web and small prints (ie.. I did a family calendar of Lake Tahoe images) I scan at 1200 dpi strait to JPEG and import to iPhoto.

My first 4x5 slides are sitting on a light table so I can stare at them... they are amazing to look at, and I'm a schmo.

Thank you very much for your reply. What you do sounds very compatible with my goals and abilities. How do you print your (word that cannot be uttered here) *ns?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In theory you project them. 6x6 projectors for which you can get 645 slide mounts are readily available (look for a Rollei on eBay, expect to pay a couple hundred) but if you go to 6x7 that is not the case, as I found out to my chagrin on seeing the price of the Goetschmann.

I actually scan my slides so that everyone can see them (90% of my audience is via the internet), but I still want to build a projector someday. In the mean time, I've largely moved to C41 so that I can wet-print. Actually I have a triptych on my kitchen wall that's from scanned slides: three vertical panels of 20x40" inkjet/canvas. The scans from 6x7 give as much resolution as a metre of canvas can hold.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What do you do with slides?

Quote Originally Posted by photo_griz View Post

:off topic & DPUG illegal talk here:

Do you find the v500 at 2400 to have visible interpolation? I have the v750 and find anything over 2400 to appear as if there's interpolation happening, and isn't mine supposed to give a higher scan?

Just wondering if I should up my scan to 3200 or 4800

Do you find scanning slides vs neg color vs B&W you can adjust the dpi or stick with 2400 for all of it?

Also Ratty I scan mine, don't own a projector, I want a 6x7 projector and a 35mm but they are hard to come by.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin