Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,735   Online: 907

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What do you do with slides?

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    In theory you project them. 6x6 projectors for which you can get 645 slide mounts are readily available (look for a Rollei on eBay, expect to pay a couple hundred) but if you go to 6x7 that is not the case, as I found out to my chagrin on seeing the price of the Goetschmann.

I actually scan my slides so that everyone can see them (90% of my audience is via the internet), but I still want to build a projector someday. In the mean time, I've largely moved to C41 so that I can wet-print. Actually I have a triptych on my kitchen wall that's from scanned slides: three vertical panels of 20x40" inkjet/canvas. The scans from 6x7 give as much resolution as a metre of canvas can hold.
    What scanner may I ask?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I scan, but I've also owned a Diapod (http://www.diapod.com/) at one point, which is a tiny little 35mm slide projector. It was OK, but a dedicated slide projector and screen is going to be a great deal better.

I've thought for a while now that a well put together slide show, despite the mocking it may get, might be a much nicer way to show photos than the "huddle round the iPad" situation many people have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Fine, I'll say it... You scan them!! That's pretty much what anyone still shooting color E-6 or C-41 does anymore.
    I agree that most folks shoot slides these days to scan.

I've been shooting dr5 reverse processed b+w slides on a long-term project I aim to show as a book, all from either 6x7 or 6x17 medium format slides. Slides scan beautifully, with oodles of detail and have a particular 'look' I love.

And I also scan to create enlarged negs / pos for alternative processes such as photogravure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What do you do with slides?

Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    I agree that most folks shoot slides these days to scan.

I've been shooting dr5 reverse processed b+w slides on a long-term project I aim to show as a book, all from either 6x7 or 6x17 medium format slides. Slides scan beautifully, with oodles of detail and have a particular 'look' I love.

And I also scan to create enlarged negs / pos for alternative processes such as photogravure.
    Why do B&W slides scan better than B&W negatives? Is there less grain too?

I want to understand all this .
    Also, you have a 6x17 slide projector??? How?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    What kind of slide projector does medium format? Do they still make them or do you have to go garage sailing to find one.
    There are at least 29 models offered new from the manufacturers from 35mm to 6x7cm.

Braun:
    http://www.braun-phototechnik.de/en/...iatechnik.html

DHW (Rollei):
    http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/de/rol...ojektoren.html

Götschmann:
    http://www.gecko-cam.com/sales/goets...ukte-products/

RBT:
    http://www.rbt-3d.de/index.php?idcat...2&changelang=4

Reflecta:
    https://reflecta.de/en/products/list...ojektoren.html

(Type 110 and 4x5" projectors are no longer made.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I love slides! I own a 35mm projector and a 6x6 projector. Very spectacular projected. But I also love diving into the slides with a good loupe (I actually use a 50mm lens wide open as a loupe) in front of a white page (try blank.org) on my computer screen. The polarized light from the screen works very well to eliminate the Callier effect of regular light (which tends to make all the tiny imperfections of the film base too visible). I need to hold the slide about one inch from the surface of the screen in order to avoid seeing my screen's pixels through the slide). It is a mind-blowing experience where you feel as if you could touch the subjects.
    I shoot 4x5 slides too and always get a kick out of gazing into them with the loupe but I also got amazed how good they can look projected in my 4x5 enlarger. The light is dim but wow it feels like you could touch the virtual print.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I primarily project 35mm slides but do also scan them for publication or for producing prints. Secondhand 35mm projectors can be had for next to nothing - in fact I've had a couple of Kodak Carousels literally for nothing but still cherish the S-AV 2000 that I bought for what seemed a fortune in 1978!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got back from the lab a roll of Provia 100F. I am continually amazed at the level of color in this film, although the skin tones sometimes seem too saturated. Still, it is a very impressive film and can be viewed by eye a bit as I am shooting 6 x 4.5. The slides are so impressive that I am tempted to shoot an even larger format, possibly 6 x 7. But I'm wondering how most people use slides that they make. Projecting is not very common is it? Are slides enjoyable just looking on a light table? Do you also use a loupe? Do you find (insert the word that dare not be used here)-ing them to be satisfactory?

I am tempted to shoot more Provia film, but at the end of the day, it seems that I am confused at how best to use them. The computer screen perhaps is not my answer even though that is the easiest.

Sorry for rambling on.....
    I too use slide film, although not as much as I would like to - it is getting too expensive. Yes I project them, why not that is what they were designed for isn't it. The main reason I like slides is the sharpness, far better than ANY projected digital image I have ever seen. Nor are they as well saturated either. I know you can increase the saturation with digital but that then seems very artificial. There is also a challenge of getting them right which with digital images that has gone and so has my interest. Besides a digital projector and a decent laptop cost far more than a half decent projector.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I project both 6x6 and 35mm slides. Recently, I got a Rollei P66 projector for 20eur or so, and two nice Leitz projectors for 35mm for another 20eur, so it does not have to be always that expensive. It gives me the advantage of being able to project old family slides in addition to slides that I shot. Btw. most of the old slides (60´s) are ok, just some turn to magenta color. It depends on the material, I guess. Not to mention making and projecting 3D slides, that is a nice hobby too...

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got back from the lab a roll of Provia 100F. I am continually amazed at the level of color in this film, although the skin tones sometimes seem too saturated. Still, it is a very impressive film and can be viewed by eye a bit as I am shooting 6 x 4.5. The slides are so impressive that I am tempted to shoot an even larger format, possibly 6 x 7. But I'm wondering how most people use slides that they make. Projecting is not very common is it? Are slides enjoyable just looking on a light table? Do you also use a loupe? Do you find (insert the word that dare not be used here)-ing them to be satisfactory?

I am tempted to shoot more Provia film, but at the end of the day, it seems that I am confused at how best to use them. The computer screen perhaps is not my answer even though that is the easiest.

Sorry for rambling on.....
    I don't know, this was a problem I faced back in 1982, Cibachromes as they were known then, were good, but expensive, and I didn't have a projector, and knew that getting one, was a good way to lose all my friends, so I added the 10 rolls or so of slides I had to the archives, and they are still there. I have not seriously looked at them, in probably 20 years or so, other then looking at a couple a few years ago, during a scanning project. I gave up on the scanning project when, I realized how much of my early work, from back then, was complete crap.... The real way to use slides though, is projection, the key to a good slide show is you need 5-6 minutes of really good stuff, rather then 50-60 minutes of mostly mediocre stuff.

Us boomers, all remember sitting through aunt Ethels, 9,000,000 slide show where 8,999,983 of them were Uncle Henry, standing in front of some landmark or another, in that same tweed suit, with the same hat, and same pained look on his face, as Ethel droned on stories of the trip we had all heard at least 25,000 times before. Latin has the perfect term for those shows, ad nausium, as in the show seems to go on ad nausium.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin