Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 775

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What do you do with slides?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    I love slides! I own a 35mm projector and a 6x6 projector. Very spectacular projected. But I also love diving into the slides with a good loupe (I actually use a 50mm lens wide open as a loupe) in front of a white page (try blank.org) on my computer screen. The polarized light from the screen works very well to eliminate the Callier effect of regular light (which tends to make all the tiny imperfections of the film base too visible). I need to hold the slide about one inch from the surface of the screen in order to avoid seeing my screen's pixels through the slide). It is a mind-blowing experience where you feel as if you could touch the subjects.
    I shoot 4x5 slides too and always get a kick out of gazing into them with the loupe but I also got amazed how good they can look projected in my 4x5 enlarger. The light is dim but wow it feels like you could touch the virtual print.
    You actually own a 4x5 slide projector? Have you ever projected those onto the side of a building? That would be cool, such detail.

Why is the lamp light full? Can you get a higher intensity bulb?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Slides are great to view as they have a much greater brightness value than prints, because you are viewing them by transmitted light (as are the pictures on your computer screen) as opposed to reflected light for a print. I think all the ways they can be used have already been mentioned. However, may I add that if you are doing alternative processes that require contact printing with a negative, then starting with a positive transparency means you can go straight to neg, instead of neg - pos - neg - pos.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You actually own a 4x5 slide projector? Have you ever projected those onto the side of a building? That would be cool, such detail.

Why is the lamp light full? Can you get a higher intensity bulb?
    I'm pretty sure he said 4x5 enlarger, which is a not-uncommon item. I intend to make a 6x7 projector by modifying an enlarger with a HID lamp and faster lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually 6x7 slides through a semi-modern lantern slide projector (I had a WW-II era Bauch and Lomb) can be very nice. I projected onto an outside wall of my white frame house. Slight color fringing but plenty sharp and cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I scan and show them on a HDTV screen. I realize that's DPUG, but that's what I do. Pictures look great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot a bunch of medium format Provia in the last year. They look terrific until I scan them and then I am inevitably dissapointed. I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm only shooting black and white until I can figure it out.

I have all kinds of color printing stuff for my darkroom so I'm considering trying color negative film so I can at least print it someday. Shame they don't make Cibachrome/Ilfochrome materials anymore as I have all the gear.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I shot a bunch of medium format Provia in the last year. They look terrific until I scan them and then I am inevitably dissapointed. I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm only shooting black and white until I can figure it out.

I have all kinds of color printing stuff for my darkroom so I'm considering trying color negative film so I can at least print it someday. Shame they don't make Cibachrome/Ilfochrome materials anymore as I have all the gear.
    I just read on another forum you can duplicate them onto color negative film then print that.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I'm pretty sure he said 4x5 enlarger, which is a not-uncommon item. I intend to make a 6x7 projector by modifying an enlarger with a HID lamp and faster lens.
    Haha whoops

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    I have several boxes of E6 Fuji slides dating back to the mid 80's & when I projected them recently didn't see a single one that had any sign of age related problems.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Anyone want to discuss my questions?
    What? You think people should stick to the topic on an APUG forum? What a radical concept!

Yeah, it annoys me to no end.

Here is what I do:

1. Scan them at a dpi appropriate for not only the film size, but the intended use and perceived importance and quality. Family snaps on the low side, especially if color shifted.

2. Back up both on site and off site with a service like Carbonite or Backblaze.

3. Once done with 2, toss 'em. OK, I don't toss my Dad's 4x5 Kodachromes, but who needs a projector for that? And I am SO cute at 5 months of age! Ha ha....

4. Share. Once they are digitized, so easy. "Hey, daughters, look at your old hippy dad!" Can't do that with slides.

5. Sigh when I look at my projector and screen. "What's that thing, grandpa?"

I have a box of photos and slides that survived a fire in 1988. Some came through amazingly well, although lots of carbon on the surfaces, others came through not at all, melted the film. The lesson learned is that although it is easier to lose your data than physical stuff, it can still happen to the latter. With digitizing and back ups, everything is safe as long as you pay your fee to the service. Storage used to be completely passive, now, not so much. Things change.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin