Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,725   Online: 1199

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    My 35mm slides are both projected and scanned. The 6MP lab scans at time of developing are good enough for sharing online and small prints (up to 8x10). Slides look amazing projected at 2x3m on the side of the garage or at 4x6ft on the wall.

My 12-y.o. son has been infected with the slide bug too.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slides have a unique and attractive look. When projected in a dark room, they create a certain magic. The bright colors and high contrast are what do it. I still have a slide projector, but I haven't used it in years. I have scanned many of my slides, and sometimes print them. The affect is not really the same, but you can make some great prints from them. 645 and 6X6 transparencies used to be mounted and projected as well, and projectors for these 120 sizes were commonly available. I haven't seen any, even on the used market, for years. A few projectors were made for 6X7, but that never really took off. I'm old enough to remember lantern slides (roughly 3X4 inches). With the right mask, you could project 6X9 transparencies with one of those.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For new MF slide projectors see post #4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    ... I still have a slide projector, but I haven't used it in years. I have scanned many of my slides, and sometimes print them. The affect is not really the same, but you can make some great prints from them. ...
    I went 12 years without dragging out the projector. When I did, the results blew me away and that is what brought me back to film. Now it comes out every couple months or so. My projector is an inexpensive Vivitar model, and if that can blow me away, imagine what a better projector/lens would do! You really should get your projector out and load up a tray with slides.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot transparencies, and usually just slot them into negative filing pages unmounted.

A while later I may mount 35mm (I do this myself, lots of mounts on hand and the gear to use them).

MF get scanned if the urge siezes me.

4x5 I put into black matt mounting outlines and an acetate sleeve and sit on the window sill. People see a 4x5 transparency and say wow most of the time.

I also shoot spluges of 35mm and 4x5 copy camera work as a way to document old paperwork or artwork things from around the house that we want a record of, but to free ourselves of the actual original. An old Polaroid MP3 copy camera with lenses to cover 35mm and 4x5 with good 4 way copy lights and a 20x24 glass platten is a big help in this respect.

A bunch is ephemera- theatre production posters, programs, cast listings and thank you cards from a particular production. My wife and I have done over 50 theatrical productions between us in community theatre within the last 15 years, and the momentoes boxes were starting to seriously overflow.

I also shoot in the copy camera or with a bowens illumitran, quite a stock of old 100' bulk reel stocks of e-6 dupe films and c-41 interneg stock. Once the corrective filtration and exposure is dialled in for each particualr stock the results are amazing.

Sometimes my duping is done to reinterpret old slides. Sometimes it is to add a new generation onto to the best shots of a carosel of color shifting aging Ektachome or Anscochome slides from decades past. Once the major fade colur shift bias is mostly compensated away from with judicious filter your eyes and brain doe quite a good job accepting the reduced information that some colours carry.

I do confess turning to the scanner as a quick way to pick the right mix of compensating gelatins prior to then loading them into the duper and copying the old stock.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I scan my 6x7 slides as projectors for this size are way over my budget. I also scan my print film negs, as I'm still trying to decide which format to stick with, although it looks like print film will win in the end when I eventually get round to start processing colour. If I want a print of a particularly good pic though, I take the file to a local lab and get a 16x12 done.

Going back to the post about deterioration of slides, my father's 6x6 slides from the 60s and 70s were dug out when I bought my Epsom v700 in order to scan them. Most of them were still spot-on despite being in buried among junk up in the loft for 30 years, but some had acquired a strong magenta cast, which I had to remove digitally. As the deteriorated slides were the same age as the good ones, it must have been the quality of film used at the time. Not all the slides have the film make on them, but the good ones seem to be Agfa colour, whereas the pinky ones were Gavaert, whoever they were. Anybody heard of them?

I remember our family slide shows, and as someone has already said, its the magic of a beam of light in a darkened room which computer screens can never equal. We still have our old 6x6 projector, (probably in the loft too) so reading this thread has started me thinking about shooting a roll of 6x6 on my Yashica Mat just to crank the old magic lantern up again. If it works....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey48 View Post
    ...Gevaert, whoever they were. Anybody heard of them?
    Gevaert once was at rank 3 in world scale...

-) the Gevaert company was founded in 1894 in Antwerp (Belgium)

-) in 1964 Gevaert and the West-German Agfa (a company of similar kind and and size) merged to form the 2nd but largest photographic materials manufacturer in the western world. Only by that they could successfully compete with marketleader Kodak.

-) that transnational merger was very extraordinary in Europe's history. Both holding companies, Gevaert and the german Bayer concern, each founded a new company (Gevaert-Agfa and Agfa-Gevaert resp.)

Both new companies remained legally entities, but by exchanging both entities' shares and by leading both by practically the same board of directors both entities worked as one.

-) in spite of the merger, the adjustment of the product lines and the new brandname "Agfa-Gevaert", for some product ranges the Gevaert name remained as brand- or trade-name up into the 90's.

-) during the silver crisis of 1980 Gevaert could not langer bear the stress by the silver price tenfolding within months, and Bayer with their much larger reserves paid out Gevaert to keep the company alive. Agfa-Gevaert from then on was a sole German company.

-) in 1998 Bayer restructured its businesses and wanted to get rid off the photographic business. Agfa-Gevaert was turned into a Belgian company, on public shares.

-) in 2004 Agfa-Gevaert sold off its consumer branch to a German investor, after which within months that part mysteriously went into bancruptsy and was dissolved.

For the remaining, huge, Agfa-Gevaert company see here: www.agfa.com

-) the founder, Lieven Gevaert,
    was in contrast to the investors of the older Agfa company a hands-on entrepeneur. He started business in his mother's workshop. In this he resembles George Eastman (Kodak). But in contrast to Eastman he was not only a benevolent person but moreover politically active. Behind the scenes he strived on the socio-economic field for the emancipation of Flanders. He can be considered a very important person for the Flemish history.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-10-2013 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love shooting slide film... I think looking at it on a light table is very rewarding. And, there is nothing wrong with scanning it IMO. Get a good quality scan, not a 1-hour photo scan. I also like to cross-process slide film. The Provia is beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Provia is OK for skin tones as opposed to Velvia, which is not.
    I would angle for Portra 160 for skin tones in lieu of Provia if it was really important. Provia is a 'watered down' Velvia with reduced contrast and muted primaries, and trumps Velvia with very good shadow detail. It's commonly used for early morning and evening shots for additional speed over Velvia. Many photographers have their own opinion of it: I don't really like it but do use it in my Zero Image pinhole and especially for star trails, letting reciprocity take hold to give the heavens an other-worldly purple hue!

As for what happens with slides, my Velvia 50 trannies go to high resolution drum scan, despotting, colourimetrics, proofing then printing, matting and framing — and put up on the wall for all to see (not the Flickr wall or anything else: I don't post anything online that is my property). Those that are not printed are stored with many, many others still in archival sleeves.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only reason I would ever scan a tranny is to post it on line. I don't know why anyone would take the quality of a slide and routinely degrade it thru the limits of d*&%$@l technology. The quality of the projected image was always disappointing, too. My 35mm's get viewed directly in an old Pana-Vue Bi-lens viewer. It's like being there looking right at the scene. Medium format gets put on a light table and viewed thru a magnifying visor.

Tranny's should be viewed directly with transmitted light. They really come alive, and nothing can compare.

I have often thought of co-opting the optics of a DLT TV, as those are essentially slide projectors. Too many projects on the list, though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin