Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,782   Online: 885

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    You pose a very interesting question. I have some "arty" photos taken on OLD Kodachrome (ASA 10) in the 1960s and was hoping one day to have Type R prints made by Kodak in a 16 x 20 inch size or bigger. Dream on, fool! I don't want to scan them but I guess that is the only way to go. Sometimes progress ain't progress in my humbug opinion.
    You could still make inter-negatives on Portra and print from them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's here! That is one thing I love about China. FAST delivery. $1 gets you a personal courier to deliver something to you door.

I almost feel guilty with this film. I am sure it is a waste on me. Many here in the forum could do much better with this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I just scored 5 rolls of Astia

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You could still make inter-negatives on Portra and print from them.
    Why portra and not Ektar?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It's here! That is one thing I love about China. FAST delivery. $1 gets you a personal courier to deliver something to you door.

I almost feel guilty with this film. I am sure it is a waste on me. Many here in the forum could do much better with this.

Nice! Congrats!! I don't think it will be a waste, just do some portraits and some more natural sunset/sunrise, and hell try a long exposure or two.

I wasted one of two rolls I had on my first ever roll through my Mamiya 7 and I didn't know what it was at the time, had gotten it with a cheapie camera I bought years ago the seller just gave me the film too. You at least know what you have.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why portra and not Ektar?

~Stone

Because the process of first copying to an inter-negative material and then printing from the internegative adds contrast at each step, and the inherent contrast of Portra is lower then Ektar.

In days gone by, Kodak and others made special purpose internegative films that were quite low in contrast. The lower speed Portras are the closest film remaining.

If you can find it, the recently replaced Portra 160 NC would probably be the best choice, but the current Portra 160 will also suffice.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Because the process of first copying to an inter-negative material and then printing from the internegative adds contrast at each step, and the inherent contrast of Portra is lower then Ektar.

In days gone by, Kodak and others made special purpose internegative films that were quite low in contrast. The lower speed Portras are the closest film remaining.

If you can find it, the recently replaced Portra 160 NC would probably be the best choice, but the current Portra 160 will also suffice.
    Oh gotcha, I have a few portra NC as well as VC.

I've seen the "slide duplicating film" on eBay so I assume this is perhaps what you mean? Or is that different?

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh gotcha, I have a few portra NC as well as VC.

I've seen the "slide duplicating film" on eBay so I assume this is perhaps what you mean? Or is that different?

~Stone

Slide duplicating film is/was used to make duplicate slides ("dupes") from original slides.

Think salespeople being sent out on the road with a slide presentation to be shown to prospective customers.

The original slides stay at the home office, while each of the various reps have their own set of dupes.

The slides that used to be sold at souvenir shops were probably dupes as well.

The duplicating film is/was inherently low in contrast, in order to minimize contrast build-up.
    Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Slide duplicating film is/was used to make duplicate slides ("dupes") from original slides.

Think salespeople being sent out on the road with a slide presentation to be shown to prospective customers.

The original slides stay at the home office, while each of the various reps have their own set of dupes.

The slides that used to be sold at souvenir shops were probably dupes as well.

The duplicating film is/was inherently low in contrast, in order to minimize contrast build-up.
    Gotcha, of course those were still slides, so they still can't be printed any longer with all the paper gone :/

It's kind of sad, by the time I actually have a house and room for a darkroom, and learn B&W printing with a real enlarger instead of a scanner, and understand all that, there may not even be any color paper left at all... heck there may not be any B&W paper... it's about ... I guess... 5 years down the road...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gotcha, of course those were still slides, so they still can't be printed any longer with all the paper gone :/

It's kind of sad, by the time I actually have a house and room for a darkroom, and learn B&W printing with a real enlarger instead of a scanner, and understand all that, there may not even be any color paper left at all... heck there may not be any B&W paper... it's about ... I guess... 5 years down the road...
    Not even close - the busiest labs I know are printing digital files on colour paper.
    Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Not even close - the busiest labs I know are printing digital files on colour paper.
    I it the same kind of paper? I thought they all ink printed them now...

~Stone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin