Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stop bath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the citric acid stop baths do make the darkroom more pleasant.

I'm also seriously thinking about switching to TF-4 or something like it when my big "to make 5 gallons" jug of Legacy Pro Rapid Fix is nearly finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using a water stop bath for years. With fiber base paper I go from developer into a water bath because fiber paper is intended to develop to completion, not instantly. I let the print set in still water for 1 minute and then spill it out and begin a running water rinse of agitation in running water for another minute, then into TF-4 for another minute. I've not had a problem and feel the additional development time in still water renders the highlights nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    And why is that?
    I've been using water only for a few years.
    Because film and RC papers do not retian developer like FB papers. If you don't use an acid stop the papers may carry some developer over into the fixer. This can cause problems. Some development may continue in the fixer until the alkalinity of the developer is neutralized. This can cause mottling or staining of the prints. Not good for the fixer either. Stop bath is so cheap especially if you mix your own -- why take the risk. Considering the price of paper today skimping on stop bath seems a foolish economy.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-07-2013 at 12:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    I didn't think stop bath had much of a smell. Sure it's not the fixer making the big fume? Fresh fixer can take your breath away if you stick your nose down in it. If the stop bath bothers you, mix it half as strong. Plain water doesn't do much, and makes your fixer die an early death.
    Time I spent in the darkroom in the late 1970's is why I can't stand the smell of vinegar, even now. Ammonium Thiosulfate, the main ingredient in most rapid fixers, is not naturally acidic, fixers are only acidic, because they add (typically acetic) acid to them, to make them acidic. This was done in the early days, because hardeners needed acidic fixers in order to work. Few films need hardening fixers these days, and recent developments have discovered, that fixers don't need to be acidic. Now I don't know about bleaches, whether they need to be acidic or not.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin