Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,307   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop bath

Shooter
    4x5 Format

stop bath

Hi All, Have played in the darkroom for awhile and my tolerance to chemicals has been compromised. Want to stop using stop bath and use only water, any suggestions are welcomed. And yes, I'm using a respirator. Thank you in advance. Trudee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No problems using plain water as a stop bath, I have done so for years, for film I use 3 changes of water with 15 inversions between each change, for paper I use a tray of water, for FB paper I will use for 3 minutes and for RC 2 minutes, changing the bath after every 2 or 3 sheets, works fine for me
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Trudee

You can use a water rinse in place of a stop bath. You may need to reduce your development time slightly as the developer will remain active for longer during the water rinse than during a stop bath.

I don't know what stop bath you have been using. Ilford makes a low odor stop bath (IlfoStop) that is basically citric acid (widely used in cooking) with an indicator dye to show when it has been exhausted. You may find that you tolerate this better, since it is not very volatile.

Good luck
    Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While it is OK to use water as a stop for film and RC papers it is not good to use it with FB papers. If an acetic acid stop causes problems then use and odorless citric acid stop bath. A 2% solution of citric acid will work. When usng water you should replace the water a few times to remove as much developer as possible before the fixer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    While it is OK to use water as a stop for film and RC papers it is not good to use it with FB papers. If an acetic acid stop causes problems then use and odorless citric acid stop bath. A 2% solution of citric acid will work. When usng water you should replace the water a few times to remove as much developer as possible before the fixer.
    And why is that?
    I've been using water only for a few years.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    No problems using plain water as a stop bath, I have done so for years, for film I use 3 changes of water with 15 inversions between each change, for paper I use a tray of water, for FB paper I will use for 3 minutes and for RC 2 minutes, changing the bath after every 2 or 3 sheets, works fine for me
    Richard
    I have to agree....I use water for my stop for b/w development with no problem. For paper though I do use stop.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As others have said, no problem with water, but it may mean your fix may not last as long, with any carry over of dev. If you are using an acidic stop bath have you thought about using it a much reduced dilution? Also are you sure it's not the fix that is giving you problems?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard the "fix won't last as long" and even repeated it, but then had someone question me on it. Has anyone ever actually tested this?

I went to just a water stop for all my film after some pinholes with Foma. No problems at all with film.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My stop for paper has always been distilled white vinegar and water. When I'm done, I dump it in the toilet (in my darkroom) -- the vinegar is supposed to keep rings from forming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    trudee, welcome to APUG. I do not think that stop bath has more fumes than distilled white vinegar and water.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin