Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 851

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help With Slight Color Cast - RA4

Hello Apug,
    I have been printing RA4 A lot lately but have noticed no matter how much I try I'm unable to get the colors proper, and when i do the whites have the slightest blue to them or yellow etc never pure white. Its not my paper because its brand new and the edges come out white around the pictures. Im shooting Fuji Superia 400 at box speed indoor with flash, and outdoor on sunny days. Any idea whats up?
    Minolta X-700, Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RB67 PRO-S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last 5 units of colour correction is always the worst to hunt down.
    I cannot do it the same night that I first get back into printing colour in the darkroom after a break.
    Always dry the print, and best yet, wait until breakfast and daylight to hunt down the fine cast, and needed corections.

Indoors with flash in theory matches outdoors on sunny day, but the colour temperature of the sun and sky can vary though the day.
    So if you find the filtration for the flash, and use the same filtration on the same film to print the outdoor scene, you may need to twea=k filtration to correct for the sky colour temperture shifts.

Vise versa if you have balanced on sky and then next print is later in the day, or under flash.

I am not sure if you are using fresh film.
    Some aged films can get 'cross over' in the highlights. Mid tones print fine, but as density in the negative builds, colour biases build.
    One colour in an HD plot crosses over the other instead of three plots following each other at a roughly similar offset.
    Expose a negative shot though a step wedge, or shoot a reflective test card card sample to get a negative with discrete shades from white to black.
    Find a lab to read the densities, and plot them. and you can determine if the film is in spec.
    Likely not the most likely problem, but a definitve way to rule it out.

Otherwise, colour printing takes time to develop the ability to see colour hues.
    It is not easy to train your eye to discern these hues.

There used to be kits to shoot a grey card, and then you would expose that neg, and get the density right.
    Then you put a filter transparency over the print to read off the needed filtration adjustments to render the grey correctly.

Print viewing filiters are another big aid.

I hope this helps in some manner.

It would help to say if you are new to this is just a weirdness with you latest box or newest chemistry.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I recommend you make a print ring-around. If you don't know what that is then: make one print you think is as close as possible, then make six prints that are 5cc in each of the six colors around it. You can extend that to a second set of 10cc in each direction, or lessen it with only 2.5cc. The point is to create prints with an equal amount of change in each color to compare. This can help clarify which color is causing the color cast and by how much.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fuji Crystal Archive also has a small amount of crossover that's basically unavoidable (you're expected to calibrate it out digitally, haha). Endura doesn't but it's unobtainium in sheets or low contrast grades.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin