Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,325   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Interested in shooting Rollei Digibase CR200

Is there anywhere where i can see some sample photos shot on this film? I want to find a good alternative since kodak has dropped Ektachrome, which i was happy with the results and felt was close enough to kodachrome for my liking, CR200 is supposed to be very close to Kodachrome, but i understand more grainy than E100G?

Agfa Presica looks a good alternative film too, and am interested to shoot that, as i understand its made by fuji?

The only offering Fuji has that im interested in shooting is Provia, looking at flickr samples, its fairly close to Kodak.

If anyone else can recommend a good film to shoot, im interested to know, or at least i would be happy to compare these films before purchasing.

Im new to shooting E6, so Kodak is all ive shot, but disneychrome doesnt interest me too much, i liked E100VS better for that use.

What are the best alternatives to E100G and E100VS?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've only shot 1 roll of CR200 and just got it back from the lab this week. It tends a bit to the yellow side, and I think the ISO 200 speed is slightly optimistic. I might shoot next time at 160 and see how it looks. It tends towards yellow but flesh tones are decent. It seems less yellow with more exposure. These scans don't quite look like the slides, and are easily correctable with auto color correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR200-001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	62398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR200-002.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	62399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR200-003.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	62400

Provia does not tend toward yellow the way this roll of CR200 did. It seems to be the most neutral. I think the Velveeta tends towards pink. Good for nature shots but not so much for people. Velveeta 100 is less bad for people than 50.

It'll be the weekend before I dig the projector out, so I won't know until then how these look when projected. I will try to remember to let you know.
    Last edited by ME Super; 01-09-2013 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with ME Super about the warmish tones and the optimistic speed, although I will continue to use it at 200 I will extend the 1st development by 15 seconds and see what I get. The main difference with this emulsion for me, is that it has quite obvious grain. I don't find it objectionable it is just 'obvious'.

I did notice after processing 3 cassettes at different times, when viewed from the back of the film (glossy side) there seemed to be a coppery tinge to the reflection. I don't think it is my processing because rolls of Fuji Velvia 100 don't have this appearance.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 01-10-2013 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for it under the Agfa designation for their late consumer version.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    The only offering Fuji has that im interested in shooting is Provia, looking at flickr samples, its fairly close to Kodak.
    Keep in mind there were several types of Provia made. They did not all look alike.
    As far as I can tell there are only 2 types left

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/pro..._datasheet.pdf
    and
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/pro..._datasheet.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had very much the same experience with it that ME Super describes above, though I don't think I saw *quite* as much yellow skew. I eventually decided it was a little too grainy for my taste and switched to Provia 100F, which is very neutral in most situations, but I still think the Rollei film has an attractive color rendition. (I did find that shooting it at 160 reduced the graininess a little.)

Here's some stuff I shot on it: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=67439103@N00&q=CR200.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    I too have read about the yellow tone of CR200, im also aware of its grain, it may be less grainy if shot at a slower speed do you think?
    Some people suggest that it was a bad batch causing the yellowing, what was the expiry date on your film #2?
    Others are waiting for new stock to be available, and the newest stock i see expires in 2015.

As far as provia goes, some people use filters when shooting it, but i feel it is a pretty neutral film. Provia 50 appears to be significantly different than provia 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Interested in shooting Rollei Digibase CR200

There is no Provia 50 that I'm aware of. There is Veliva 50 which is different from both Velvia 100 and Provia 100 and 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    As far as provia goes, some people use filters when shooting it, but i feel it is a pretty neutral film.
    I find an 81B sometimes helps keep the shadows from looking too blue (which may be a strictly accurate rendition---shadows *are* blue---but doesn't look natural in a photo), but on the whole I'd agree. On the other hand, a warming filter with CR200 can really make the yellows go wild.

Interesting idea that the yellow could be an artifact of a specific batch. It's supposed to be the same emulsion as RSX II 200, which as far as I know didn't have a reputation for being an excessively yellow-skewed film; certainly the limited amount of RSX II 50 I've shot has been much more neutral than the Rollei film (though still warmer than Provia 100F).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot a couple of rolls back in the summer, and I certainly agree with the points already made: it has a definite "warm" tonality, it is very grainy (even for a 200-speed slide film), and I would shoot my next roll at 160 rather than 200, as most of my shots are slightly underexposed at 200. However, despite all of this, I do rather like it! It is certainly characterful (i.e. not neutral!), and in some ways rather "old fashioned" in the way it interprets rather than simply copies the subject (I'll leave the latter to the non-analogue guys!). I wouldn't say that it's particularly similar to Kodachrome in either tonality or grain, though. Try some......you'll either love it or hate it.......you certainly won't be ambivalent! I've attached the only scan that I've made so far, and because it was shot at dusk it doesn't really tell you very much......but I'll hopefully scan some more slides in the next few days' and post a few more.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin