Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,807   Online: 747

Shooter
    Medium Format

Last roll of Kodachrome: Nat. geo documentary

Interesting 30-minute documentary following Steve McCurry as he shoots the last roll of Kodachrome.

Apologies if this has been posted before but it was just uploaded to Steve McCurry's channel a couple of days ago and I haven't seen it anywhere here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Made me shed a tear. Thanks.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen this before and yet , again....it is wonderful....especially the moment when McCurry looks at the last slides ans says: I'm quite willing to give up digital photography. Wistful, I know....but still wistful. Thanks for posting this.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think good things last when people show they care, but you often don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. When the one truism of photography, film or otherwise, is "shoot first, think later" it pays to get used to casualties. I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I started in 2008/9 with film and regret not shooting a roll during the brief window that I could. I had a one track mind with Velvia 50 at the time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great video!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the post; I watched it with a certain sadness. The moment when McCurry loaded his last roll brought back my own memories. I remember cracking open the 1563 KR, loading it into my first ever Nikon (1979 black F2AS) and saying out load: "Well I guess this is it, the end of the line." Unloading the camera about two hours later, I must have stared at the rewound roll about five minutes before removing it from the camera before lifting it out and sticking it in the Ziplock with the rest of the day's shoot. When I returned home later in the evening, I unpacked the equipment I had used, and after placing a BF-1 on the front of the F2AS, set it on the bottom shelf of the curio when it has resided, undisturbed, to the present (I have a large supply of Nikon bodies, so dropping the F2AS as well as the other bodies I used that day - an F3HP as well as an F5 - from "active inventory," in a rare sentimental moment really was not much of a sacrifice...)
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin