Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,839   Online: 1067

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Color (C-41) Fixer

For some time, I have used C-41 "Flexicolor RA" fixer as a general fixer for everything with excellent results. I was once told it was an alkaline fixer. Wheteher that is true or not I do not know.

Here is my question: Can one use regular, plain old fixer, hardening or non-hardening, for C-41? I have several bags of Arista fixer, that appears to be a non hardening variety. I've run out of the regular Flexicolor RA and am wondering if I can use up the inventory of this stuff before ordering more Flexicolor, or for that matter, bothering with the Flexicolor at all. I don't have a problem buying the Flexicolor if needed, but if it isn't all that necessary it would be once less thing to have to keep around.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use color fixers for B&W but you cannot use B&W fixers for color.

The pH of C41 fix is about 6.5 - 6.8. It is not considered to be alkaline.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, Flexicolor it is then. Thanks PE.

Just for curiosity's sake, what is the main difference between the fixers?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C41 and E6 fixer are almost identical.

B&W fixers generally have the wrong pH or contain Alum. A pH value that is off can affect dye hue and image stability.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    PE I've been asking this question the past two days so thanks for the fortunate timing! haha, can you also interchange the Color fixer between processes, as in if I develop some C-41 film and use the bottle of fixer, then develop some E-6 can I use the same bottle of Fixer?

I also have the same question regarding the Bleach... in fact, if there's any other color chemicals that can be cross used, that would be helpful, I'm trying to put together as much as possible for as little as possible. I might interchange the 3 bath kits except get rid of the BLIX step and use separate bleach and fixer if I can find it cheap in small quantities. Thanks. if you don't want to clog up this thread feel free to post answers here..

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=59230

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone;

E6 has a higher load of developed silver than C41 but C41 has more restrainers so the bleaches are different and the fixes are different.

You can use the fix and bleach as long as they are not exhausted but I advise tests if you exchange the bleaces. The C41 bleach III is a new animal and I am not sure how it works with E6.

BTW, there is a comment elsewhere about Cellulose Nitrate films. I mentioned your PM.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Stone;

E6 has a higher load of developed silver than C41 but C41 has more restrainers so the bleaches are different and the fixes are different.

You can use the fix and bleach as long as they are not exhausted but I advise tests if you exchange the bleaces. The C41 bleach III is a new animal and I am not sure how it works with E6.

BTW, there is a comment elsewhere about Cellulose Nitrate films. I mentioned your PM.

PE
    Thanks, found the thread and posted...

And thanks for the info, yea the Bleach and Bleach II for E-6 I can't tell which is what I need, I wish they would call them different things so it wasn't so confusing haha. Heck I wish Bleach was called something else by itself since I almost put my film in some clorox :-P
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 01-15-2013 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin