Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo CPE2+ Bottle Sizes when using 2551 drum

I developed 3 rolls of 220 C-41 film tonight in a 2551 drum in my (new to me) Jobo CPE2+ with "upgraded" motor. The minimum solution required is 640mL so I tried using 850mL to be on the safe side. The bottles that seemed to be designed to fit the CPE2(+) have only a 600mL capacity. I thought I would be clever and use instead 1000mL Jobo bottles that I have on hand. However, I ran into the problem that once I had emptied a chemical out the big bottle could no longer be put back in the slot as it would simply float out. This meant the water level decreased since the volume of the bottle(s) was no longer being displaced. To start with I was processing using the chemicals one-shot so I was dumping each chemical. On a related note, how do CPE2(+) owners temper the water for the rinse step + the final rinse / stabilizer solutions. There doesn't seem to be enough slots (just 4) and then 4 graduated cylinders. For what do people use the graduated cylinders? Does anyone opt to purchase a separate tempered water bath just to keep rinse water, and chemicals for the next run?

I am new to posting on APUG, but a longtime lurker. Thanks in advance for some guidance!

-Justin

Shooter
    35mm
    I always used the graduated cylinders for the chemistry, and the bottles to temper the water for rinsing.
    Guessing that doesn't really help you, given your use of 850ml chemistry (the cylinders are 260ml).

So the 1000mL bottles fit ? Do they reach the correct temp, as they aren't completely submerged ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    So the 1000mL bottles fit ? Do they reach the correct temp, as they aren't completely submerged ?
    Yes the fit. The fluid doesn't rise that much above the water level and I measured the developer temperature in the bottle and it seemed fine. I don't have much baseline for comparison to if I did it the other way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you got the standard smaller size bottles. Why not fill them with water and put them in the slots where the larger bottles were when they were warming up. That will raise the water level without any problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I'm using a 3 chemical kit, I utilize the spare bottle slots to hold water. I also start tempering running water in a nearby sink so that the beakers can be refilled as I've emptied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weight the bottles. You need around 600 grams because that is the typical displacement volume. A lead collar would do, but it is unwieldy.

I usually use a spare bottle full of water, but anything to displace the volume works. A 600ml bottle for example.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 2551 Jobo tank requires 330ml minimum for 2502 reel with one 120 roll inside the red tab.
    The 2551 Jobo tank requires 640ml minimum for 2502 reel with five 35mm rolls, six 120 rolls or three 220 rolls inside the red tab.
    The 2551 Jobo tank requires 560ml minimum for 2509N reel with twelve 4"x5" sheets.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin