Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,382   Online: 887

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to.

The last time it snowed here, I used some Ilford SFX film but without the IR filter - just because it's all I had.

Some of them in my gallery. This is my favourite:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	62855

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice image Steve! One of my goals this year is to play more with SFX -- I never really seriously considered it before when there were more infrared options, but it seems like there aren't that many choices left.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    I processed the roll, first of all do not waste a roll of EIR on snow in future guys, it was a waste! Only plants and people in coats other than black that did not have snow on them showed up red, the snow was, painfully, white. I did bracket. Got a few good IR shots, one from atop a high building with everybody in the town centre showing up as red, that is about it. A pointless waste of a roll it seems, but it shows the batch is good and the seller has more, so i am going to nab a couple more.

So that has answered the question if it is worth using EIR on snow... no :O

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That does not contradict what basically had been saif about IR reflection.

First, with EIR one typically uses a mild filtration, thus the snow will reflect a lot of light, including visible, to the film.
    Second, even with a strong filtration, as in most b&w IR-photography, a chromogenic IR-reversal film exposed beyond a limit will show white.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm that could be it, a shame mind but i will take some more once the snow has melted of the same scenes Water Absorbs IR light as we know and there is a tree overhanging a lake, red tree and green reflection in the water might be a good shot, among a few others! Seems that using IR film, especially EIR/Aerochrome seems to be a learning curve upon itself, and from what i saw from bracketing, the exposure latitude of EIR is more narrow than most other slide films it seems.I used a hoya orange filter, gave me the colour balance i wanted from EIR.
    Last edited by jm94; 01-18-2013 at 06:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin