Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,260   Online: 774

Shooter
    35mm RF

Doran Storage Tanks

Thinking of getting a couple of these for C-41: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tank_5.html

For anyone who has used these specifically, how effective is the floating lid at keeping air out, and approximately how long could I expect (mixed) C-41 chemistry (Trebla or Kodak) to last in these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never has use one myself however, in order to work, the floating lid must be a bit smaller than the inside of the tank, so that it floats down as the liquid goes down. That would indicate that it does not eliminate exposure to oxygen. For a high volume user, may not matter. For lower volume user and or more assurance of no air contact, use several smaller glass bottles filled to the brim or topped off in nitrogen gas, is a better solution, and probably less expensive to implement.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I never has use one myself however, in order to work, the floating lid must be a bit smaller than the inside of the tank, so that it floats down as the liquid goes down. That would indicate that it does not eliminate exposure to oxygen. For a high volume user, may not matter. For lower volume user and or more assurance of no air contact, use several smaller glass bottles filled to the brim or topped off in nitrogen gas, is a better solution, and probably less expensive to implement.
    Glass bottles aren't very practical for large volumes that are gradually reducing as working solutions get partially discarded. I also don't have nitrogen and would have no clue how to get any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    Glass bottles aren't very practical for large volumes that are gradually reducing as working solutions get partially discarded. I also don't have nitrogen and would have no clue how to get any.
    FWIW, I use butane lighter refill bottles. Seems to work fine. Squirt a few seconds worth of butane into the bottle, loosely screw the cap on, and leave for a few minutes for the extra pressure to escape the bottle. Then tighten the cap all the way and you are done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    I use 250ml bottles filled to the brim (to exclude air) one shot. It all depends on how long you want the developer to last. For my low volume, it is the best solutions. Nitrogen is obtained at any welding gas supplier, however, it does involve a great initial expense. Wine stores sell smaller bottles of inert gas at a higher cost that may be on option for some. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin