Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,531   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Push or not push dev times? (Ektar/Portra/BW400CN)

So I recently shot a bunch of film in Tokyo and was wondering how I should go about developing them. Here is the list of film I shot:

1. Portra 400
    -Shot at 800, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a one stop push?
    -Shot at 1600, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a two stop push?

2. Ektar 100
    -Shot at 200, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a one stop push?

3. Kodak BW400CN
    -Shot at 800, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a one stop push?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Portra 400 is fine one stop under. Two stops i'd adjust processing, but even without it's probably fine. Ektar looks great rated at 200, and the BW400CN is probably fine, but i'd push it too.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Portra 400 is fine one stop under. Two stops i'd adjust processing, but even without it's probably fine. Ektar looks great rated at 200, and the BW400CN is probably fine, but i'd push it too.
    I've done experiments with all of those films when pushed and developed normally in those circumstances.

Portra 400 is "just OK" at 800 dev'd normally in daylight conditions. Shadows are pretty darn muddy, if it's low light, it'll look terrible.

Ektar 100 goes really blue and contrasty when underexposed, warm and softer when over exposed. If you shoot at 200, regardless if you push it or not, it'll probably look terrible.

BW400CN if shot at 800, push it two stops. Like Ektar, this stuff doesn't like underexposure. Often times, best off to shoot Portra 400 and convert to B&W later.

If you're shooting low light skip the color because you'll probably have nasty looking light, push your Tri-X, shoot Neopan 1600, or work the Delta 3200.

my $0.02

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Push or not push dev times? (Ektar/Portra/BW400CN)

I agree about the B&W stuff, shoot delta or push triX but I've discovered Delta 3200 shoots great in all light situations so even in broad daylight shot at 3200 developed @. 3200 it looks really nice.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info, the film is already shot and I am already back in the states so shooting a different type of film is out of the question for now. I've seen examples of Portra 400 pushed to 1600 with great results (search Google). Understandably "great results" is subjective but I am simply asking wether or not it would be wise to have the lab perform a push process.

Pushing/pulling is just an exposure thing since a pushed film will simply be underexposed by X stops. I slightly overexposed my photos to combat this so I was wondering what I should have the lab do.

FWIW I do all my own 120 film and my 400 speed Ilford XP2 Super looks great at 1600 with no adjustment to development times. I have never shot Portra before so I was curious as to what would work best.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    So I recently shot a bunch of film in Tokyo and was wondering how I should go about developing them. Here is the list of film I shot:

1. Portra 400
    -Shot at 1600, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a two stop push?

2. Ektar 100
    -Shot at 200, should I have it developed as is or should I have the lab do a one stop push?

3. Kodak BW400CN
    Why do you need to push? Why not correctly expose in the first place?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because I figured I would decide wether or not to push dev times since I heard conflicting information before my trip.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    how many rolls do you have? if you have a lot, why not take one roll, whichever would have the MOST push, and push it to that, see how it comes out, if you don't like it, then don't do any more that far, pull back, try another, that will give you an answer without TOO much waste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now I have

x1 roll Ektar shot at 200
    x1 roll BW400CN shot at 800
    x1 roll Portra 800 shot at 800
    x2 rolls Portra 400 shot at 800
    x1 roll Portra 400 shot at 1600

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    you're worrying too much, shoot the 400 at 1600 and push that, with CN films there's not as much to worry about, if it's too contrasty, push the next one less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin