Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,197   Online: 759

Shooter
    Multi Format

Diluting RA4 colour developer?

In the mid to late 90s I used to use the combined C41 film/paper kit from Jessops. When using this to process paper I used to dilute the working strength developer by 50% and double the time it was in the processor from 1.5 minutes to 3 minutes at 38° C used one shot.

I am not 100% sure that the paper was an RA4 type, I suspect it was but am not certain.

Now my question, I have bought the Rollei Digibase RA4 Mono Kit from Firstcall and there are very limited instuctions with it, by limited I mean next to nothing, temp 38° +/- 0.3° for 45 seconds. Has anyone attempted to dilute the working solution by 100% and then compensated by increasing the developing time by 100%?

Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been able to dilute Tetenal minilab solutions and extend their time. I managed to find dilutions that gave me 3 rotatory developments for 45-60-75sec and then discarting the developer. I think its possible, but maybe wait for PE, even thou he will tell you that it is not recommended...
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the mid 90s it could have been an Ektaprint 2 type paper, or a Supra I or Supra II paper. The first type used a different developer than the latter 2, but even though the latter 2 were RA4 paper types, they used slightly different times and responded a bit differently than todays Endura and CA II type papers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the responses. The Jessops Kit was able to process C41 or by use of an additive could process Prints. I think the paper I used was a Fujicolor print paper if that narrows things down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the additive was an oily liquid, then this is not compatible with RA4.

In any event, using the same color developing agent for film and paper will affect final image stability. Use CD3 for paper and CD4 for film for optimum dyes and image stability. I hope your images last.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Give it a go Ed and tell us what happened. As it is RA4 you may only waste a few sheets and it may work and you may say "Eureka". On the other hand it may not, you may then say a word that is not repeatable on APUG but you will be wiser for the future and so will we if you share the experience

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin