Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,494   Online: 996

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C-41 Stain

Shooter
    4x5 Format

C-41 Stain

I am processing 4x5 sheets in a Jobo Expert Drum using Kodak C-41 and the minimum chemistry (210ml) for the drum one-shot. Getting stains and streaks that are sometimes visible in the film, sometimes not. The drums are not leaking. (that had been a problem once with E-6) I am using a wash between all of the steps. Using the recommended rotation speed for these drums and temperature. Attached is a section of a film. The stains are in the direction of rotation. I am using a pre-heat and a pre-rinse. i do not think I had the problem on previous batches but since they are not all scanned, it is possible that I missed seeing this. Only have two ideas. One is to increase the speed which I do not think will help. The other is use more chemistry. Hate to do this since Kodak is making this stuff very hard to get and very expensive. As in I had the fixer back ordered for nearly three months with Calumet and when it came the bottles were 5L rather than 10L and 30% more per bottle. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stain.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a staining issue that appears to have been caused by running the Jobo at the lower rotation speed. Not sure if a higher speed would help.

For chemicals, have you tried the Rollei Digibase? It seems they are repackaged Fuji-Hunt C41 chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C-41 Stain

I don't have a JOBO, but is it possible to remove the drum periodically and give it a bit of random manual agitation during development? That might help to avoid rotation marks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I don't have a JOBO, but is it possible to remove the drum periodically and give it a bit of random manual agitation during development? That might help to avoid rotation marks.
    Possible? Yes, but probably not advisable. From what I could tell on the net, some of the Jobo machines had rotation speed options that are just a little too slow. However, all of their machines have at least one speed option that is sufficient to avoid streaks/stains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had similar stains with C41 processing (hand tank, not rotary) and these went away for good when I began to use a stop bath and a wash between CD and BLIX/bleach. Be careful which kind of stop bath you use, PhotoEngineer has on a few occasions advised against citric acid which is used in most commercial B&W stop bathes.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This almost looks like a shadow not a stain.

However, if it is truly a stain, make sure you use a prewet and use a stop after the developer.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This almost looks like a shadow not a stain.

However, if it is truly a stain, make sure you use a prewet and use a stop after the developer.

PE
    What serves as a stop? Will a 1.5 minute wash with water suffice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use 1 - 2 % Acetic Acid.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Use 1 - 2 % Acetic Acid.

PE
    Thanks. I just ran a roll through in which I used a stop bath between the developer and bleach stages. I will post a scan later today or tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Thanks. I just ran a roll through in which I used a stop bath between the developer and bleach stages. I will post a scan later today or tomorrow.
    Wow! What a revelation. The stop bath makes a huge difference. See attached (not art, but was available):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coffee Beans in Dirty Canister.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin