Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,247   Online: 791

Thread: Fixer Testing?

Shooter
    35mm

Fixer Testing?

Could someone please explain fixer testing using a clip of film to a newbie?

I'm about to try DIY C-41 so working with colour neg. Everything I read says time how long it takes to clear but what does "clear" mean with respect to colour neg? Am I looking for the emulsion to completely strip or for the neg to become opaque?

Cheers,
    Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You should see the undeveloped film change from opaque to transparent. It will still have the orange mask color to it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a small piece of ordinary, undeveloped, unfixed film. You only need an inch or so. You can do this in ordinary room light.
    Use a dropper or a toothpick, etc., to put a drop of fixer on the film and let it work for a minute or so until you get a small, clear circle on the film.
    Drop the film into the fixer solution you want to test and stir it up so that the film is completely submerged.
    Use a stopwatch to time how long it takes until you can't tell where the drop was. Stop the timer. This is your clearing time.

Fixing time is usually twice the clearing time.

First, do this test with fresh, unused fixer the first time you use it. Remember (write down) the amount of time it took to clear the film.
    When your testing shows that it takes twice as long as it originally did, consider the fixer to be exhausted.

Store your used fixer in a separate closed container, away from everything else, in a safe place where nobody (kids or pets) can get into it.
    When you have enough, dispose of it according to local regulations. I take mine to the Household Haz-Mat recycling day that's held in my town about two times a year.

I don't know if the Silver Magnet works on C-41 fixer but I don't see why you couldn't use SOME method of recovering silver.
    If you can extract the silver, it would be worth doing.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Apologies...I'm still a bit confused.
    The pics attached:
    First one - untested
    Second two - tested
    With respect to "clear" am I looking for the 2nd or 3rd result?
    Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	62958

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	751.1 KB 
ID:	62959

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	761.5 KB 
ID:	62961

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Second. What the hell did you do to get the third?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look at the files on the computer - maybe he fed it to some aphids to get the third picture results?

Excessive fixing can bleach away the lighter tones of the image, but I have never seen evidence of the orange layer coming out of the film base.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Haha....yes, blame it on the Aphids!

Thanks for the reply's. I'm ready now for first experiments. Will report back.
    Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin