Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,269   Online: 765

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

C-41 120 Processing at Walmart Jan 2013

My first post here. I wanted to share an my experience in case others have similar ideas. I dropped off a roll of 120 color print film for processing about 2.5 weeks ago at my local Walmart as an experiment. Marked special instructions to develop only, no CDs, no prints. There are warnings that negatives will NOT be returned. I knew this warning applied to 35mm, and was hoping that it would not be "honored" with 120. Well today, I received my developed film back cut and sleeved. Price before tax was $0.84. I am sure there are risks of losing your film with this approach. But it's hard to argue with that the price.

Curious if an others have had similar experience they would share. BTW, I also within the last month used walmart for 35mm e-6 processing. Wasn't as cheap, I think about $6, but I received my slides back in cardboard mounts in about the same time frame. Of course these technically weren't "negatives". Though I doubt you would have much luck explaining that at walmart.

I plan to try them out again. I don't know if these experiences can be counted on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't argue that you accept a certain amout of risk using Walmart. It really becomes a question of risk vs reward. (Of course any option carries some risk.) One point of clarification: my posted experience is with the send out service. Walmart is not really doing anything with your film other than sending it out to Fuji and returning it back to you. This really just amounts to an alternative way of doing business with Fuji. The interaction with local walmart folks is having them fetch the returned film from the drawer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past 2 months (12/12, 01/13) I have sent following formats to Walmart sendout service and got my negatives/slides back, without any problem.

135: BW, E6
    120: BW, E6, and C-41

120 C-41 + 12 prints (3x4) prints $1.68 plus tax. Yes, $1.68. You read that right.
    135 E6: $6.88
    135 BW: $1.88
    120 E6: $4.88
    120 BW + 15 3x5 prints: $9.48 (ok, don't ask prints)

As Apugabug said, it's actually "Fujifilm printing service". Walmart is not doing any processing to your films (except handling the envelops). There's a 1800 Fuji customer service # on the envelop that you can call to trace your films.

The downside is the 2-week processing time, and they won't scan for you, even they do prints (never tried; read this on other websites). And don't try 135 C-41. Your negatives will not come back.
    Last edited by philosli; 01-22-2013 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Apugabug View Post
    There are warnings that negatives will NOT be returned.
    Crazy. Do they throw them in the bin?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I called 1800 customer service number and confirmed that the warning only applied to 135 C-41 films. Other types of films will be returned.

Said that, this is a bad policy. They just scan the images and transfer the images back to your local store to have them burn to CD and/or print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Crazy. Do they throw them in the bin?
    if the film is processed at fuji labs ( where the c41 / 135 goes ) the negatives won't be returned
    but everything else goes to dwaynes as a special order. the lab tech at my local wallys said it is fuji's
    way of saving transportation $$ because the images are uploaded to the stores who then burn the cd + make prints.

i haven't used fuji in a long while .. 89¢ is a pretty good deal ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I fail to see how this saves transportation costs since the same courier that picks up the film can also drop off the negatives. Unless of course they're not using their own couriers, but using a shipping company like UPS. This also sounds like a "Wal-Mart cutting corners" not a Fuji cutting corners because IIRC, Meijers (which also uses Fuji) has no sign out about negatives not being returned.

I shoot E-6 primarily, and when Wal-Mart stopped returning negatives, I decided I could no longer trust them to return my slides. I would be very upset if I shot slide film and ended up with scans and prints but no slides. Fortunately a camera store opened not far from where I work and they now get all my E-6, and they do B&W too. In half the time as Wal-Mart/Fuji.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone may have said that it was to reduce transportation costs but that is possibly erroneous, as ME Super points out. What it does for them is to simplify their handling costs. They win; we lose... but it may be better than totally losing the services entirely. "They"" could be Fuji, Walmart, or both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I fail to see how this saves transportation costs since the same courier that picks up the film can also drop off the negatives. Unless of course they're not using their own couriers, but using a shipping company like UPS. This also sounds like a "Wal-Mart cutting corners" not a Fuji cutting corners because IIRC, Meijers (which also uses Fuji) has no sign out about negatives not being returned.

From what I've heard, they ship the film every other day via FedEx.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I shoot E-6 primarily, and when Wal-Mart stopped returning negatives, I decided I could no longer trust them to return my slides. I would be very upset if I shot slide film and ended up with scans and prints but no slides.
    My last attempt (about a month ago) to process 135 E-6 through Walmart was ok, other than the wait. Mine were mounted, as requested. I don't know what if they would sleeve 135 per request or not.

I haven't tried anything other than 120 C-41 and 135 E-6. However, based on feedback here and elsewhere (photo.net and maybe one other) with people that have used the services, it seems that the only consistent trouble is around 135 C-41 processing. Which is still sad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin