Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,348   Online: 1007

Shooter
    35mm

Shelf Life of CD-4?

Hi,
    I have some very old CD-4. Probably over 10 years!
    Is there any chance it might still be OK or should I forget about it?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Describe its appearance. It is good if it is colorless, tan or light pink. If it is brown or tarry in appearance then it has spoiled.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I've got 3 different lots. Image attached.
    The left one is dark brown. The other two are a bit more grey than the photo looks with the one on the right a shade darker.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	63025
    Last edited by HumbleP; 01-22-2013 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The two on the right are ok, probably, because they look just like mine that is at least ten years old and works fine. Not so, the one on the left.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could experiment with the one one the left by say adding 10% more than the formula calls for. I have some that is discolored that is 25 years old, it still works but is less effective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two on the right appear to be still good. Concwerning the one on the left I would run a test roll thru some developer made with it. My guess is that it will still work.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks you all for your replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once, when we have a lot of work in film processing laboratories from us, I and a laboratory for chemical analysis.
    To color analysis was performed developer substance (CD 2 and CD 3), both active form and the oxidized form.
    Perhaps that dark containers with CD 4 have large oxidize form and a small form activel. A test will tell you if fog and a reduccer contrast / debalans?

George

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin