Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1124

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been trying to get my head around this issue.
    I have got a few bottles of fixer and now whatever way I think of disposing, my head goes 'you're gonna be polluting the environment with the chemicals on an ongoing basis' - I still haven't gotten rid of the full dev - just a bit cos I knew it was spent.

Also, one thing I have noticed is that algae or lichen seem to find the area with a little bit of unwashed chemical as fertile place to grow - I keep the bottles n vessels out in the open, so humidity n temperature are mostly tropical.
    So I'm not really sure if disposing down the sewerage is the best idea.
    I am definitely not dumping it anywhere near the yard as our place is among the remaining few green spaces around for us and animals around.
    So would the best course be turning it into paste n burning?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I have been trying to get my head around this issue.
    I have got a few bottles of fixer and now whatever way I think of disposing, my head goes 'you're gonna be polluting the environment with the chemicals on an ongoing basis' - I still haven't gotten rid of the full dev - just a bit cos I knew it was spent.

Also, one thing I have noticed is that algae or lichen seem to find the area with a little bit of unwashed chemical as fertile place to grow - I keep the bottles n vessels out in the open, so humidity n temperature are mostly tropical.
    So I'm not really sure if disposing down the sewerage is the best idea.
    I am definitely not dumping it anywhere near the yard as our place is among the remaining few green spaces around for us and animals around.
    So would the best course be turning it into paste n burning?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    why don't you ask people in your town what you should do with it.
    no one on an online forum, unless they live in the same area as you,
    will be able to tell you what you should do with your photochems ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a lot of chatter about disposal of the liquids, but what about the eventual disposal of the plastic film and paper prints that will later become waste too?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are companies that pick up b&w photographic paper and films to reclaim the silver, at least here in Europe. Of course they will not send a truck to you for half a dozen 4x5 sheets. They mostly cater for institutions where large amounts of such materials have to be disposed off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why don't you ask people in your town what you should do with it.
    no one on an online forum, unless they live in the same area as you,
    will be able to tell you what you should do with your photochems ...
    I am not asking about local regulations, am I? So its not local regulations I am looking at.
    Those anyway would probably havent been formed for a lab at home kind of thing. I could probably go dispose the stuff in a chemical lab of a school/college, but my question was with respect to the experience that people here have.
    Or what they can suggest on the course I am thinking of following.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See post #14.

So far no group established working on that idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have taken chemical waste directly to the nearest sewage treatment plant and dumped it in their treatment ponds, after asking permission and telling them what I'm dumping of course.

Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Good day,

Does anyone know of a good and relatively easy and inexpensive way of safely (for the environment) disposing of C-41 chemistry yourself?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Sorry to hear about all that harassment by local authorities. Who could have guessed that blix is deadlier than farm fertilizers and Drano (it might well be as bad, but laws and regulations should be consistent if the environmental impact is the same). As for my issues here, my chemist friend suggests that I simply dilute and dispose via a non-septic tank system since my quantities are too small (about 1L in total per month, on average) to justify getting a contract with a waste disposal firm (which she says is a scam in any case)
    i wouldn't say they are a scam, they have to deal with the chemicals and are liable for disposing and breaking them down and they give you the paper that says you disposed of
    your waste the way you are supposed to dispose of it. besides they give you a 15gallon bucket for you to put the stuff in, at 1L / month it may take you 60months to fill it up
    they might charge 120$ so in the end it ends up being 2$/month to pay? it's really not that expensive, even if you are told to dispose of it once a year ...

trickle tanks can also remove the silver from your blix .. as long as the ph is between 5 + 6 you will be OK ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin