Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,846   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY Chemical Disposal

Good day,

Does anyone know of a good and relatively easy and inexpensive way of safely (for the environment) disposing of C-41 chemistry yourself?

Thanks!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fellow member PE years ago gave some hints at a system he wanted to evolve further, if I remember right.

EDIT:
    You might have a look at this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/4...vironment.html
    Last edited by AgX; 01-27-2013 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read a few guides online, with most guides keep saying you need to neutralize the chemicals and recover the silver (and even after doing that, some still suggest that the chemical is hazardous waste), but the methods listed vary also. Who do you trust!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some say so, some say so...

At one hand you could try to establish the affect your chemistries will have (a lot has been written on that matter), on the other you could just follow the authorities' rules that apply whereever you are located.

Over here the county effluent water engineer/officer takes the view that all photographic effluent independant ogf size of lab has to be considered chemical waste and must not enter the sewage system.

Shooter
    Large Format
    how about finding a local lab and asking them to dispose of your tailings ?

the blix + wash water can have the silver removed using a ion transfer device
    otherwise the ph has to be between 5 + 6 to use an electrolytic system .. ( with a higher than 50 ppm of silver )

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I looked up the regs in my area and they specifically state that prepared/dilute photographic chemicals can be poured down the drain. However this discussion has made me think again about the silver collector I looked into some time ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately I don't live near any active film photo labs (they sell "amateur" film from old stock, but no longer develop - I live on a very small island). So far the recommendations online suggest:

- Mixing your developer and blix between PH 5 - 7 to kill it (sounds suspect)
    - Putting steel wool in a plastic paint can, maybe introduce a small electrical charge, and basically perform some electrolysis to remove the silver from the liquid.

Seems very doable but does that sound like good advice (I use my chemicals to the max, and store chemistry in the freezer for months until I am sure I can't get anything more out of it - and it has worked well so far)?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The intersting thing about silver is that generally it is considered harmful in photographic affluent and the same time more and more new products containing "nano-silver" are marketed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh wait! My friends wife has a PhD in Chemistry, I can ask her what to do with hazardous waste

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just found "silver magnet" which has been discussed on APUG before appears to be available from porters.com. That would be better than steel wool. I'm going to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Unfortunately I don't live near any active film photo labs (they sell "amateur" film from old stock, but no longer develop - I live on a very small island). So far the recommendations online suggest:

- Mixing your developer and blix between PH 5 - 7 to kill it (sounds suspect)
    - Putting steel wool in a plastic paint can, maybe introduce a small electrical charge, and basically perform some electrolysis to remove the silver from the liquid.

Seems very doable but does that sound like good advice (I use my chemicals to the max, and store chemistry in the freezer for months until I am sure I can't get anything more out of it - and it has worked well so far)?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin