Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,497   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's a very nice landscape film, and would be OK for portraiture in subdued light. The contrast and saturation are relatively high compared to most color neg films. In overcast situations it's important to
    use a warming filter like an 81A. It's not artificially warmed like traditional color neg portrait films.
    Shadows under a deep blue sky will actually look blue (because they are!) - so you would need to filter
    for this kind of situation too. You need to do this when the film is exposed. There is only so much post-
    correction you can do (don't believe everything the Fauxtoshop geeks tell you!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by igmolinav View Post
    I haven't gone to the photo store yet, but do you think there is something wrong with the film, as to have two different stores selling it for the same price?
    Nothing is wrong with it. Grab what you can, they will likely not restock Ektar.
    I don't shoot much 35 mm myself but at that price I felt an obligation to liberate the shelves of two shops here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The real story here for me is just how 'last chance' photography is becoming... reminds me of shopping in the USSR: if you see it buy it, even if you don't need it, because you may never see it again and at least can sell it.

I myself in the US am now trying to shoot as much Ektar as I can, around my E6 and B/W, since I assume it'll be a few months or maybe a year or so when we find /that/ discontinued too (As I did with Kodachrome 10 years ago, and E6 a few years ago, and finally MP 100D last year - but the lead time seems to be shortening). At the very least I'd guess it'll get more expensive soon.

It's sad and a little frightening to be on this sinking ship of color photography, but I'm going down with the ship (so to speak).

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't think Ektar is any trouble whatsoever. It's a very popular film at the moment, and I have no trouble getting it in every size from 35mm to 8x10. Even the local camera store carries it up to 4x5
    sheets. Gotta load some 4x5 holders with it tonite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree it's not the best for portraits but it's a great, vivid film. Buy all you can. Try a roll. If you don't like it you can sell it for a little more to pay for the aggravation and pass the deal on to someone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    The real story here for me is just how 'last chance' photography is becoming... reminds me of shopping in the USSR: if you see it buy it, even if you don't need it, because you may never see it again and at least can sell it.

I myself in the US am now trying to shoot as much Ektar as I can, around my E6 and B/W, since I assume it'll be a few months or maybe a year or so when we find /that/ discontinued too (As I did with Kodachrome 10 years ago, and E6 a few years ago, and finally MP 100D last year - but the lead time seems to be shortening). At the very least I'd guess it'll get more expensive soon.

It's sad and a little frightening to be on this sinking ship of color photography, but I'm going down with the ship (so to speak).
    Kodachrome 10 years ago?? 2009 was 10 years ago?

Ok, I checked and found K25 was discontinued in 2002. I had no idea when. It was just too darned slow for me to use anyway. I don't think I ever shot a single roll of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

... and finally MP 100D last year
    What is MP 100D?

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
    Ektar is a great landscape film, I find it does weird things to people's skin but that's just me. That is a damn good price for it as well. Snap his hand off
    What he said and store it in the freezer.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by igmolinav View Post
    Hi,

What is MP 100D?

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

It is (was) Kodak's Ektachrome 100D, a transparency film designed for motion picture use. Despite that, many people used the 35mm version in still cameras, as the processing was the same E-6 process. It was discontinued late last year, not at all unexpected given the discontinuation of all still transparency films a few months prior.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Walk in with a couple of pillow cases, fill them with Ektar 100, pay for it, send me a PM for my address. I will be more than happy to take several dozen rolls off your hands!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin