Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,018   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

splitting tetenal 1L c41 press kit?

Hi, pretty simple question and I'm sure I could find the answer but figured I'd just as. I just bought this powder kit to develop some 120 film in my Paterson tank. The tank I use is the one that does 2 rolls of 135 or 1 roll of 120. When doing BW I mix up 500ml (50:1 rodinal) solution, I'm thinking since this is the one liter kit I can effectively mix 500ml now, use it till its exhausted, and then mix the remaining solution for another 500ml. I am assuming I should get more rolls out of the kit doing this? Is it worth it or should I just mix it all at once?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't mix up parts of powder kits - there is no way to ensure they are homogenous.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Don't mix up parts of powder kits - there is no way to ensure they are homogenous.
    I wasn't planning on it, Im already paranoid enough about F'n this up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing you could do is mix the whole liter, use 500ml for your immediate processing and put the other 500ml into some air tight bottles which you store in some cool place. This way you should be able to use the second 500ml batch a few months later without problems.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

splitting tetenal 1L c41 press kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    One thing you could do is mix the whole liter, use 500ml for your immediate processing and put the other 500ml into some air tight bottles which you store in some cool place. This way you should be able to use the second 500ml batch a few months later without problems.
    The working solution will degrade much more quickly than the liquid stock variations of tetenal you can buy. This is because the water at working solution dilution contains plenty of oxygen to help the chems begin the process of self immolation. I question whether you can get to "several months", but if stored well (glass with no air in contact with the surface of the fluid) it should last at least six weeks. My working solution is older than that, and being used, and is still alive, so I do know there is some cushion built into tetenal's estimated life expectancy of working solution. (My kit says 6 weeks for working solution.)

That said, I'd caution you to do a test before developing something critical with chems that are past their expected shelf life, and brew some new soup if the tests show degraded performance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Maybe you could try freezing or chilling the second 500ml to increase its shelf life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    The working solution will degrade much more quickly than the liquid stock variations of tetenal you can buy. This is because the water at working solution dilution contains plenty of oxygen to help the chems begin the process of self immolation. I question whether you can get to "several months", but if stored well (glass with no air in contact with the surface of the fluid) it should last at least six weeks.
    I wholeheartedly agree that storing a concentrate will be better than storing a working solution, but that appears to be not an option here. Splitting a powder mix is generally not recommended and making a concentrate from it may or may not work. What I suggested was the best he could do with the kit he got.

Since Tetenal's C41 working solutions are known to last very well I am quite confident that a tightly sealed bottle of working solution can be stored for many months. The biggest question mark will be that his kit is called "press kit", and I remember press kits as something that works quickly but does not necessarily last very long.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michael stevens View Post
    Maybe you could try freezing or chilling the second 500ml to increase its shelf life.
    Don't freeze or chill photochemical working solutions. The risk of precipitate formation and incomplete redissolution of that precipitate is quite real.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
    Don't freeze or chill photochemical working solutions. The risk of precipitate formation and incomplete redissolution of that precipitate is quite real.
    Also note that while lower temperatures might slow down some adverserial reactions, a lot more oxygen dissolves in cold water than in warm water ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Also note that while lower temperatures might slow down some adverserial reactions, a lot more oxygen dissolves in cold water than in warm water ...
    Which is why many developer recipes specify boiled-and-cooled water: much of the dissolved gas content will be driven off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin