Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,787   Online: 843

C41 & RA-4 chems and a Jobo..........

Hi to all. I have managed to pick up a Jobo Atl-1000 processor and have been offered quite a large volume of 4 month old but unopened chemicals at a good price.
    My questions are as follows,
    1. can the Fuji (NQ2RS ) and Kodak (4036729) bleach fix solutions be used for both C-41 and RA-4 processes? Are these compatible with both the Jobo and a Nova deep slot method?
    2. Is the Kodak ( 4036745 ) stabiliser/replenisher really needed for RA-4? since this isn't included in the ( say ) Agfa equivalent kit?
    3. Besides the colour developer and bleach/fix, will I need anything else for C-41 processing in the Jobo? Stabiliser perhaps?
    Regards- Mike
    If you live forever, you'll learn everything. Living forever is the problem...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lyons
    Hi to all. I have managed to pick up a Jobo Atl-1000 processor and have been offered quite a large volume of 4 month old but unopened chemicals at a good price.
    My questions are as follows,
    1. can the Fuji (NQ2RS ) and Kodak (4036729) bleach fix solutions be used for both C-41 and RA-4 processes? Are these compatible with both the Jobo and a Nova deep slot method?
    2. Is the Kodak ( 4036745 ) stabiliser/replenisher really needed for RA-4? since this isn't included in the ( say ) Agfa equivalent kit?
    3. Besides the colour developer and bleach/fix, will I need anything else for C-41 processing in the Jobo? Stabiliser perhaps?
    Regards- Mike

I don't recongize the Fuji hunt product name. Is anything else written on the jug?

Try here:

http://www.fujihuntusa.com/html/minilab_tech.html

Odds are if it's bleach & fix in one bottle it's for RA-4. I think the various Fuji C-41 products are sold with bleach and fix in thier own bottles. IIRC that's the case for Kodak to.

The stuff will work in the drums if you can figure out what you've got. Be carefull to figure out exactly what you've got. Fuji has a bunch of different C-41 processes/chemicals. In the end it's all the same but they have different times,replenishment rates and mixing requirements.

I was more or less given a bunch of Fuji C-41 and RA-4 stuff. The prices was very good so I didn't pay attention. If I had I would have noticed I got things like Part B of the C-41 developer and no part A. 2x the fixer then the bleach. That it was 2/3s RA-4 when I thought I was buying 100% C-41. Still the stuff has worked great and I couldn't have bought the empty plastic jugs for the same money so I can't complain.

Odds are the stabilzier is for C-41.

See the above for the third question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few more thoughts.

Fuji calls it's C-41 C-16. They have a few different C-16s and they may have a product named C-41 to.

You'll be best off with replenishment.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lyons
    Regards- Mike
    C-41 and RA-4 are different processes. C-41 bleach can be used for E-6 but not for RA-4. If you want to keep chemicals down (and have better quality) I'd avoid the bleach-fixes (BLIXs) and go for a Bleach and a Fix. The Fix then can be shared among B&W, C-41 and RA-4. The Bleach can be used in E-6.

The Superstabilizer is not needed for RA-4, nor the stabilizer for C-41 but they are not a bad idea. RA-4 Superstabilizer is not only part of doing a NP (Non-plumbing, non-water) but also improves the whites and the long-term archival quality of the dyes--- a Super-STAB RA-4 print will last longer than one that did not get a "treatment". Its also not a bad idea to use a hot air dryer for C-41 and especially E-6 as they stabilize the film dyes as well. For RA-4 I use a IR dryer--- which the added benefit that I don't have to wait long for prints to dry to sync to neutral gray.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin