Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,911   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re: the holders yes, the quick loads are in an opaque sheath and require a special holder. My understanding is that quickloads can also be used in a Polaroid 545 holder too, but I've never had occasion to test that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The 545 holder works better than the official ones, if you get a good one. They varied. They were just
    a bit heavy due to the internal rollers, which could be removed. But ancient history by now, unless you're lucky enough to stumble on a cache of film sleeves.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Dean,

"What are the trade-offs, then, between Portra 100 and Portra 400--from both an aesthetic as well as a technical standpoint?"

Mainly the obvious shutter speed/aperture and granularity. However, the reality is that we're starting to pick the fly poop out of the pepper. You simply can't go wrong. The Portras are nice true negative films that print in a straightforward manner. Ektar has a "juiced up" color look that many find truer to life (closer to Reala or Kodacolor 100 but with finer grain), but getting the balance right can be challenging under some lighting. If you are new to printing color optically, I suggest Portra 160. Fine grain and pleasing colors without the (for me anyway) challenge of getting the cyan (print color, not enlarger setting) just right with Ektar.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Other than the speed and associated slight increase in grain, Portra 400 has a little more contrast and
    saturation than Portra 160, but nowhere near as much as Ektar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin