Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,917   Posts: 1,521,921   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Are there any side by side comparisons of drugstore films?

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    The guy mentioned he was inquiring about Kodak Gold. Kodak Gold 100 is $2.25 at Adorama in New York. Portra 160 is $6.99.

What you linked to is the only extensive side by side film comparison I've ever seen on the internet of any kind. It is kind of odd. As much discussion that goes on about this emulsion vs that emulsion you would think someone would sit down every so often and do a definitive comparison. I see comparisons between one or two films all the time. But a big monster comparison seems pretty rare. I personally wanted some kind of monster comparison for B&W like this.
    He said DRUG STORE we are talking local prices which are WAY different from B&H / Adorama prices... You can buy PanF+ for $5 in NY at the big stores but my local shop charges $9 for the same film... The cheaper film like Kodak gold is $6 at my drug store...

That was my point the drug stores around here charge way more than you can get better prices at the big camera stores by buying online. Anyway this is only in the US and I can only really talk about the northeast for sure.

You can certainly find some good deal somewhere but you really have to search:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    He said DRUG STORE we are talking local prices which are WAY different from B&H / Adorama prices... You can buy PanF+ for $5 in NY at the big stores but my local shop charges $9 for the same film... The cheaper film like Kodak gold is $6 at my drug store...
    Mmm... okay. But your statement was still false using your own number...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why are you looking for this info? Are you relatively new to film shooting?

I only ask because drug store film prices are often HIGHER than high quality film prices if you buy online.
    Portra even if ordered online is still more expensive than even the drug store Kodak Gold price you posted and there is the small matter of shipping.

Anyway my point is regardless of whether you buy it locally or online there could be situations where you would want to use Kodak Gold. I think the OP is asking a valid question. Online Portra is almost three times as much as Kodak Gold. At those prices you have to wonder how bad Kodak Gold really is. Personally if it was sold in medium format I would give it a whirl. Also Kodak Gold is sold locally. In many place Portra isn't. So if you are stuck and need a roll your choice is either Kodak Gold or nothing. The quality of Kodak Gold or whatever else is on offer will determine what I will choose. I don't do much 35mm stuff but the question of just how crappy Kodak Gold is has crossed my mind.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Mmm... okay. But your statement was still false using your own number...

Portra even if ordered online is still more expensive than even the drug store Kodak Gold price you posted and there is the small matter of shipping.

Anyway my point is regardless of whether you buy it locally or online there could be situations where you would want to use Kodak Gold. I think the OP is asking a valid question. Online Portra is almost three times as much as Kodak Gold. At those prices you have to wonder how bad Kodak Gold really is. Personally if it was sold in medium format I would give it a whirl. Also Kodak Gold is sold locally. In many place Portra isn't. So if you are stuck and need a roll your choice is either Kodak Gold or nothing. The quality of Kodak Gold or whatever else is on offer will determine what I will choose. I don't do much 35mm stuff but the question of just how crappy Kodak Gold is has crossed my mind.
    OK I did some research, to be fair I'm used to looking at the 120 prices, not 35mm, so since the amount of film in a 35mm roll was comparable to a roll of 120 (in terms of surface area) I assumed the prices were similar. They are not.

Also I did notice most drug stores sold rolls of 24 where the B&H is a 36 frame roll, so they aren't the same, the only good things to compare are the pro packs, who (on this forum) just buys ONE roll? its silly to do that, so I'll compare the "Packs" which BTW are also 4 packs while the B&H are 5 packs of course, so for $25 you get 5 rolls of Portra 160 while at the drug store it costs $24 for a 4 pack of Gold 200...

So, I'm NOT wrong, the prices at B&H are MUCH better, for $1.99 more you get 84 more frames!

HOWEVER for some reason the Gold 400 is much cheaper for the 4 pack at $14 while the Portra 400 is $35 so in that case it's STILL better for portra at 68 cents per image for the Gold but only 51 cents per image for the portra, again because of the 1 less roll and the 12 additional images per roll...

This is my logic...

I'll go tomorrow and actually shop a store to get official prices as I'm going off of the online prices listed for Walgreens and CVS.

Either way, I wasn't wrong.

HOWEVER it appears B&H ALSO sells gold, and they sell the 36 frames for $12 for a 5 pack which is MUCH better.

Still means I'm right, better to buy from B&H.

As far as quality, I'm given to understand that Gold is portra (or whatever the current pro color film is), basically they do a run, test it, if it doesn't pass for pro film by Kodak standards, they make it Gold, if it passes they make it portra.

PE can correct me.

So it's still pretty good stuff.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gold isn't Portra.

The contrast is a bit higher, the saturation is a bit higher, and the grain structure isn't the same.

But it is good quality, reliable film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give how well Kodak manufactures film, I seriously doubt they would fail enough Porta at the QC level to make enough stock of Gold. You cant seriously base an entire product line off of QC rejects. How do you plan production and stock as well as other logistics. "I guess we need to muff this batch of Porta. Gold stock is running very low."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Give how well Kodak manufactures film, I seriously doubt they would fail enough Porta at the QC level to make enough stock of Gold. You cant seriously base an entire product line off of QC rejects. How do you plan production and stock as well as other logistics. "I guess we need to muff this batch of Porta. Gold stock is running very low."
    LOL

Good point, just something a really good photographer told me once, I'm really curious to hear about it from PE

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Gold isn't Portra.

The contrast is a bit higher, the saturation is a bit higher, and the grain structure isn't the same.

But it is good quality, reliable film.
    +1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'd be more concerned about drugstore processing. For instance, a one-hour lab delivers prints that discolor or fade an hour later, while with a next day lab they will fade within 24 hrs. There is also an
    inverse equation by which they change the fixer every 24 years. The quality of the film is determined
    by reading the batch codes or expiration date ... for example, if it's stamped on the box in cuneiform,
    you might want to pay a higher price elsewhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I'd be more concerned about drugstore processing. For instance, a one-hour lab delivers prints that discolor or fade an hour later, while with a next day lab they will fade within 24 hrs. There is also an
    inverse equation by which they change the fixer every 24 years. The quality of the film is determined
    by reading the batch codes or expiration date ... for example, if it's stamped on the box in cuneiform,
    you might want to pay a higher price elsewhere.
    Are you serious? If this is the processing you are receiving, you need to find another joint. Er, maybe that's the issue...........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of our drugstore films is Superia Xtra 400, 85 cents per roll, cant be happier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin